What is this guy?

Lauramax

Hi! Today a friend of a friend of a friend was going to get rid of her tortoise. My son wanted one for his birthday so we agreed to rescue him. He was kept for 5 years in a 20 gallon high tank, no light, and fed mostly fruit. Petsmart lady says he's in really bad shape, malnourished, with soft spots and a crack in his shell. We bought him a 40 gallon long and a bunch of supplies. Going to whole foods tomorrow to buy dandelion leaves. But we have no idea what he is. He doesn't look like anything online. Thoughts? What is he? Want to get a book and learn more.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Wow, that tortoise does look in bad shape. Somebody with much more experience will come along to tell you what kind it is. Can you post a picture of the underside also? Forget the books, they are outdated. You will find information that you need here on the forum once you know the specific species. Your tortoises going to need UVB, heat, calcium, and a proper diet. And a much bigger enclosure then your aquarium. I'm glad you got the tortoise out of the bad environment. I hope you can get it back to health. welcome to the forum! Please keep us updated on your new tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Can this be a russian tortoise? been kept in a very dry condition and without any outdoor time and UVB? And it is in terrible condition.

I'm glad that you and your son are going to adopt this poor guy and you join this forum. Good to have you all here! ! !

Few more pics will really help to ID this guy.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
welcome to the forum! its a turtle not a tortoise:eek:! i think its some type of asian semiaquatic species. if you post some close up pics will help tell what species. @Anthony P
I wondered if it could be a turtle. Something about the shape of the head. And the shell possibly, or it could be just the effects of the bad ^ had in its previous home.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Hello and Welcome. Can this be a russian tortoise? been kept in a very dry condition and without any outdoor time and UVB? And it is in terrible condition.

I'm glad that you and your son are going to adopt this poor guy and you join this forum. Good to have you all here! ! !

Few more pics will really help to ID this guy.
this is not a russian! i know this is a turtle because of the feet are kinda webbed and the marginal scutes and up.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It just a guess.

This is even worse now, A turtle been kept like tortoise?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi! Today a friend of a friend of a friend was going to get rid of her tortoise. My son wanted one for his birthday so we agreed to rescue him. He was kept for 5 years in a 20 gallon high tank, no light, and fed mostly fruit. Petsmart lady says he's in really bad shape, malnourished, with soft spots and a crack in his shell. We bought him a 40 gallon long and a bunch of supplies. Going to whole foods tomorrow to buy dandelion leaves. But we have no idea what he is. He doesn't look like anything online. Thoughts? What is he? Want to get a book and learn more.

I am not good at id'g specific species of turtles....but you absolutely have a turtle on your hands....I would offer a big area/large soaking dish for this turtle and do it quickly....I am surprised that turtle is not in much much much worse condition....I would offer this turtle a long tepid water swim in the tub or a large container (supervised of course and not too deep to begin with).....

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@Lauramax please excuse us why we debate your type of turtle or tortoise :) more pictures will help us make a definitive identification. Then you can check out the species specific section of the forum for the care sheet.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Looks to me like a Central American Wood turtle (Rhinoclemys sp.). It can use a good soak.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
This turtle is a real trooper for hanging in there with the wrong food, wrong enviornment, etc.
Glad you saved him.