What is this bug?

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
I was just sat admiring my tortoise in his table when this bug climbed from behind the back of it and into the box and went to go into his substrate. I picked Sheldon up out of fear 😂 my partner then got the bug! But what is it? Had it come from the box or just the house? Is it damaging or dangerous? Thanks!

Attachments

• 09EA7A42-AA32-44CF-96BD-F636BEFA94F4.jpeg
    09EA7A42-AA32-44CF-96BD-F636BEFA94F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

EricW

Houston, TX
It is a cricket, looks like the ones used as feeders for reptiles. House cricket or Acheta domesticus. No danger to your tortoise unless there is no food for them (plant matter), in that case, they will chew anything they can to eat including your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was just sat admiring my tortoise in his table when this bug climbed from behind the back of it and into the box and went to go into his substrate. I picked Sheldon up out of fear 😂 my partner then got the bug! But what is it? Had it come from the box or just the house? Is it damaging or dangerous? Thanks!
Do you have any other reptiles? Reptiles that eat, sayyyyyy, insects maybe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nope none! I hate bugs haha
Well at least you got your bud ID'd. Eric even gave you the Latin name!

Where there is one, there are more. I've had success keeping the numbers down using "Roach Motel" type sticky traps. I try not to use toxic chemical pesticides whenever I can.