what is the difference?--help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I am going to be ordering some ZooMed Lamp stands from Amazon soon (they are bday presents yay)

And today, when I searched it on amazon, I got two different lamp stands, (with two VERY different prices) but both are made by the ZooMed company...

What I am wondering is, What is the difference?

I couldn't see any, but the price is so dramatic, I had to post it, before I start spending my money. From what I can see, the cheaper one is smaller....But my enclosures are not that large, so I think it would be fine....

Here are the two links:
This lamp stand is only $7.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HG76B8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

and this one, the lowest price is $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255OUO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I would like to buy the economy one, but not if its cheaply made, or defective....

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure it is the same stand, however, the one sold at the horse supply company only has 2 left in stock. That's probably why they have it on sale...to get rid of them. I'd try for the cheaper one and hope they still have one.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The overall adjustableness of them is different:

Economy-
recommended for up to 20 gallon tanks
maximum height adjustment of 24" and a maximum length adjustment of 12"

Expensive one-
recommended for larger tanks
maximum height adjustment of 36" and a maximum length adjustment of 15"

I'd measure to see what you may need, based upon the recommended distances of the Mega Ray 100 watt bulbs (minimum up 12 inches from the substrate and maximum of 20 inches). The lamp also needs a hang distance, you have your distance from the base of the enclosure and lamp stand base up to the substrate height, and you need to account for the depth of the fixture from the extension of the bulb as they are about the size of flood lights like you may have in your kitchen for example.

I'd personally go for the more expensive one because it gives you more options, and from a rough calculation, you may need over 24" of height: I measured my distance from the lamp stand to the face of the bulb as 10 inches, so I wouldn't have been able to use the shorter stand once you factor in substrate height (4-5 inches for me), and distance from the substrate (18 inches for me). I've actually almost maxed out the height on the stand!

I have the more expensive model and can personally vouch that it is very sturdy, although the paint chips slightly if you re-adjust it a lot. It adjusts in all directions so it allows a lot of flexibility for the placement. I have a black dome fixture (10 inches is recommended for the Mega Rays) so it looks pretty nice as well.

Happy shopping! :)

Yvonne-Zoo Med makes two models of the stand that look very similar, but have different dimensions and weights (economy is smaller/lighter, and the base model is larger/heavier).

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Is the mega ray bulb what I should be purchasing? I think the economy one is what I will be going with, I can get it 12in off of the substrate if the smaller stand adjusts to 24"...I don't think I will have a prob with either enclosure.

Plus, with no other animals in the house, I don't worry about the lamp being jostled too much.

Kate-what is the wattage of your bulb? And how much heat does it produce?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have the 100 watt Mega Ray from reptileuv.com (that's what we've discussed), and you'll need to place it at the distance above the substrate based upon your environmental factors such as temperature and how hot you want the basking temperature. You might not get away with placing it at 12 inches because that is likely too hot...they produce the bulbs to produce a wide range of temperatures, up to well over 100 degrees for other reptile species like iguanas. If your room temperature is higher, you'll need to place it further away then if you had a cold room.

The UVB range is considered the best and safest between the 12 and 20 in. for that wattage per the company. For me, I'm getting a basking temperature of about 100 deg at 18 in. off the substrate, and the room temperature is about 65 deg. I do the slightly higher basking temperature for my hatchling because he likes it better and he tends to not bask right out in the open (he goes to the side where it's more like 90 deg).

Here's a picture showing output:
http://web.mac.com/breadnbutterdesi...ew_files/MegaRay-Mercury-Vapour-Enclosure.jpg

I think you'll need over 24 in. based upon:
-approx. 15 in. between substrate and bulb (give or take a few inches)
-distance from the top of the stand to the bulb (see blue arrow below, which for me is 10 in. tall with the 10 in. diameter dome fixture)
-substrate height of at least a few inches

2qx3oso.jpg

You can always just try it out, but if you're doing online returns can be tricky. Just giving my opinion since you asked. :) Best wishes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I bought those 7.99 stands....All the other smaller ones were 17.00 and up...and the larger one started at 19 (was like 27 w/ shipping, and I just got the two of them for like 21 shipping included)

I will wait on the bulbs another week until the stands get here...(they are back ordered anyways) and see how high I can adjust the stands themselves, before I buy bulbs....maybe I will get a Trex 60 watt or something, if I cant get it high enough away from the substrate....

I'll post pics once they get here....

Do any other Greek owners have a preference for bulbs? What do you use on your hatchlings vs adults....

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Ok, so I got my stands and both work perfectly. I have plenty of room for adjustment too...I love them! And they were such a steal! Thanks Yvonne for pointing out that they only had two left! (I bought both very soon after!)

Hey Kate, I copied and pasted your pic because I wondered why you weren't using a clamp....Hanging your fixture by the cord is not a real good idea. It could burn out your lamp, or cause other damage because of the strain.

tortoisenerd said:

Its kinda weird that you still need a clamp though (but I have found that it makes it very sturdy!)...this is how both of mine are attached...

000_0011.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmm I had no idea about that Meg. I'll have to rig that up (the fixture came with a clamp). The cord is only to the fixture so I hadn't realized it could affect the bulb. That would give me a few inches more too. Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks for the help with that! It was pretty tricky for me to rig it up...ended up turning off the light, letting it cool down, and then fiddling with it for about 20 minutes. Here's what I ended up with; it's really stable because the ring of the spring rests on the stand, and then the cord it looped around as a safety. :)

25ioy1u.jpg

Oh and you were right about the cord thing...it has the slightest bit of damage on it to the plastic. I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure I don't have to replace the fixture.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It looks good! And you gained like 2 or so inches of height too lol...

Anouk's enclosure is all set up now, lampstand and all. And its just killing me that she's not in there yet!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay.

Soon enough she'll be there. :) You need to find something to keep yourself occupied! You're lucky too, since I'm not "allowed" to get another tort...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yeah....I wish it was warm out already! I would busy myself outside building tort pens lol....

I am actually looking at sun dresses online. And I have a skirt that I am itching to wear. Even though it was -4 last night. pah.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I just put four of my horses up for sale. I told my husband that in light of that, I AM getting another tortoise. I think it is only fair ;) I love my ponies, but I need to cut back a bit. Tortoises eat less :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
kyryah said:
I just put four of my horses up for sale. I told my husband that in light of that, I AM getting another tortoise. I think it is only fair ;) I love my ponies, but I need to cut back a bit. Tortoises eat less :)

hehe Trevor is our one and only and it was a big step to get him. No idea where we would put another enclosure since he has half the dining room to himself! I'd want a Greek though.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am not sure what I want. I am thinking a Star or a Spider, or maybe a Black Mountain. I have to do some more research and make up my mind :) I like Egyptians, too, and Mediterranean Spur Thighs... Wow, this is gonna be tough!

I have a whole bedroom that is tortoise (and a couple of other critters) occupied, lol.

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yeah we only have a 2 bedroom right now where the second room is for storage/guests/office. A tortoise room someday would be awesome.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
:D I should put pics of my living room up! I want all my reptiles to be in the room I spend the most time in...My ball pythons are right behind me, and if I look to the right, I can see both tortoise enclosures...I am trying to convince the BF that I could fit a crested gecko enclosure in here too...

I think if I ever end up with anything else with a shell on it, it would be a boxie. I had them when I was younger, and never really appreciated them like I should have....the males are beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.