What Is The Best Turtle Species?

methos75

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Why isn't a box turtle a tortoise?
Because it's a turtle. I know smart-*** answer but that really is the answer. Box Turtles are members of Emydidae which is same family that most American pond turtles such as Sliders, Painted Turtles, etc are in. Box Turtles therefore evolved from semi aquatic ancestors and in fact, many species such as Gulf Coast and Box Turtle are still strongly Semi aquatic.

Interestingly enough though, Emydidae are more closely related to the tortoises than other modern turtles which indicates that tortoises could of evolved from them.

Lunaqua

5 Year Member
Virginia
Let's talk turtles. With no qualification or explanation, I asked this question of several of the known "turtle guys" at this year's recent TTPG meeting. The answers were fun, entertaining, and educational for me. I realize that everyone has different preferences in size, shape, color, personality, ease of care, etc..., but I want to know what you guys think is the "best" turtle species. Any explanation or justification for your choices are welcome. Lists of favorites are welcome. All turtle talk is welcome.

I'll start. My all time absolute favorite turtle species is the Chinese big headed turtle. Platysternon megacephalum. Why? Because I absolutely fell in love with one when I was a teenager working in a pet store. I should have bought it and taken it home when I had the chance. I intended to come back for it after getting my apartment set up in college, but it had sold and was gone two days before I came back for it. I was so stupid for not paying for it ahead of time, but it had been there for months with no one showing any interest in it. The price was a whopping $35 in 1993, and I had trouble coming up with the money. I can't help but wonder what direction my life might have gone in had I acquired that turtle and gotten into aquatics the way I got into terrestrial tortoises...

I also like, but have no experience with:
1. North American spotted turtles.
2. Indian spotted turtles.
3. Diamond back terrapins.
4. Not sure of the species, but they have some sort of giant box turtle shaped asian water turtle of some sort at the San Diego zoo in the Gharial exhibit. It walks around underwater as if it were on land. Looks to be around 18 inches long. Maybe Batagur or Heosemys or Orlitia? I watched those turtles for hours one day.
5. I've always been fascinated by the snake necked and long necked turtles, but I haven't found any experienced turtle keepers that seem to share my fascination or want to talk about them much. Anyone here keeps them or know much about them?

If someone wanted to get an aquatic turtle or three, what would you recommend for them? Asking for a friend...
Hands down Box turtles are my favorite. They have HUGE personalities, love to eat and their patterns and coloration are so beautiful. Plus they don’t require a huge messy water tank. 😉

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Because it's a turtle. I know smart-*** answer but that really is the answer. Box Turtles are members of Emydidae which is same family that most American pond turtles such as Sliders, Painted Turtles, etc are in. Box Turtles therefore evolved from semi aquatic ancestors and in fact, many species such as Gulf Coast and Box Turtle are still strongly Semi aquatic.

Interestingly enough though, Emydidae are more closely related to the tortoises than other modern turtles which indicates that tortoises could of evolved from them.
Thanks for this! Great information!

wendigo

Florida
The only water turtle experience I have is with African helmeted (Pelomedusa subrufa) and I’m smitten. He’s super interactive, always starving, and very entertaining.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I'm not as experienced as some here with turtles, but I have had A LOT of aquatic turtles try to bite me. I don't hold it against them.
1 + 2 = 1.......Let me explain. So take 1 intoxicated Male and 2 Red Eared Sliders in a pond. Add the 1 male with the 2 RES in the pond and wall la = 1 screwed up face. So I wanted to swim with my Turtles, no harm right. Wrong lots of harm especially to my top lip. 1 of the little cute nice not mean at all turtles wanted a kiss. Thats how you add 1+2 and get 1. The next day at work I had to explain "It was a Turtle." They all did not believe and stuck with "it was a fight huh."
So I wonder what their pronoun would be. . .are they in the 'they' 'them' catagory?
You can cut the balls off a dog but it's still a boy dog. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
There are a lot of semantics on this, and it also depends what country you are in.

See “terminology” section: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortoise

What is called a tortoise in the US is different than elsewhere
Order was the level I was thinking of. I've never been good at keeping the philogeny stuff straight. Isn't that part consistent regardless of the local terminology?

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Ultimately the difference between a turtle and tortoise comes down to fairly superficial morphology differences. Tortoises have columnar hind limbs while no turtle does. Some also point to heavy domed carapaces but not all Tortoises are domed and not all turtles are flat.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
I have way too many. My personal favorite will always be Actinemys-Western/Pacific pond turtles.

They have unique coloration of markings. Big fat tails of the males. The closest thing is European Pond turtles. Man I love them. They got the body build and fat tails like Actinemys. Beautiful speckled spots with black shell. They are friendly and very docile of the group of turtles.

Golden Coin Turtle-Cuora trifasciata. I honestly did acquired mine to grow and sell later on. But having one absolutely change my mind, I can’t give up on mine. The personality is great and their coloration as they age is like fine wine. It get better in time.

These are just a few.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have way too many. My personal favorite will always be Actinemys-Western/Pacific pond turtles.

They have unique coloration of markings. Big fat tails of the males. The closest thing is European Pond turtles. Man I love them. They got the body build and fat tails like Actinemys. Beautiful speckled spots with black shell. They are friendly and very docile of the group of turtles.

Golden Coin Turtle-Cuora trifasciata. I honestly did acquired mine to grow and sell later on. But having one absolutely change my mind, I can’t give up on mine. The personality is great and their coloration as they age is like fine wine. It get better in time.

These are just a few.
How about some pictures?