What Is The Best Turtle Species?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Let's talk turtles. With no qualification or explanation, I asked this question of several of the known "turtle guys" at this year's recent TTPG meeting. The answers were fun, entertaining, and educational for me. I realize that everyone has different preferences in size, shape, color, personality, ease of care, etc..., but I want to know what you guys think is the "best" turtle species. Any explanation or justification for your choices are welcome. Lists of favorites are welcome. All turtle talk is welcome.

I'll start. My all time absolute favorite turtle species is the Chinese big headed turtle. Platysternon megacephalum. Why? Because I absolutely fell in love with one when I was a teenager working in a pet store. I should have bought it and taken it home when I had the chance. I intended to come back for it after getting my apartment set up in college, but it had sold and was gone two days before I came back for it. I was so stupid for not paying for it ahead of time, but it had been there for months with no one showing any interest in it. The price was a whopping $35 in 1993, and I had trouble coming up with the money. I can't help but wonder what direction my life might have gone in had I acquired that turtle and gotten into aquatics the way I got into terrestrial tortoises...

I also like, but have no experience with:
1. North American spotted turtles.
2. Indian spotted turtles.
3. Diamond back terrapins.
4. Not sure of the species, but they have some sort of giant box turtle shaped asian water turtle of some sort at the San Diego zoo in the Gharial exhibit. It walks around underwater as if it were on land. Looks to be around 18 inches long. Maybe Batagur or Heosemys or Orlitia? I watched those turtles for hours one day.
5. I've always been fascinated by the snake necked and long necked turtles, but I haven't found any experienced turtle keepers that seem to share my fascination or want to talk about them much. Anyone here keeps them or know much about them?

If someone wanted to get an aquatic turtle or three, what would you recommend for them? Asking for a friend...

akturts

California
I personally love the diamondback terrapins. They are so very personable and they come in so many varieties with all the subspecies. I currently keep ornates and northern concentrics and dream of the day I will have a couple mangroves. Even within the subspecies the varieties in shell color, markings (flowerbacks for ornates as an example) make them all the more interesting and beautiful!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I like any kind of turtle but really love those huge, awesome Alligator Snapping turtles. I think they are just magnificent!
This would be my answer as well, until the Razorback Musk Turtle entered my life. The personalities on these guys is outrageous. They Moon Walk all night long. Wish they were more active during the day, but still are moving around. They love to climb for food, and are good eaters not picky. I have not had any other musk turtles but think maybe they are the same?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Aside from the overhead costs of pizza the ninja turtles 🤣🤣. I like the painted turtles. I haven't had much interaction with any other species. I have saved countless turtles here in Ohio from death by car tire, but I don't know what species they were. One was a snapping turtle.

Wpagey

Southern California
No love for the big crashing beast of tortoises, the Sulcata? He’s gotta be the coolest pet I’ve ever had, and now that we’ve built his house and have the heating needs dialed in, he’s not too hard to take care of. Love to watch him cruise around and eat grass, and he’ll come running to me as he’s sure something good is going to happen-hibiscus flowers, etc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No love for the big crashing beast of tortoises, the Sulcata? He’s gotta be the coolest pet I’ve ever had, and now that we’ve built his house and have the heating needs dialed in, he’s not too hard to take care of. Love to watch him cruise around and eat grass, and he’ll come running to me as he’s sure something good is going to happen-hibiscus flowers, etc
This thread is about turtles, not tortoises. That's why its in the "Water Turtles" section. Everyone knows sulcatas have wonderful personalities. I'm trying to learn a bit more about turtles from the people who know and love them.

Wpagey

Southern California
This thread is about turtles, not tortoises. That's why its in the "Water Turtles" section. Everyone knows sulcatas have wonderful personalities. I'm trying to learn a bit more about turtles from the people who know and love them.
Tortoises are turtles. Sorry for trying to join the fun

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tortoises are turtles. Sorry for trying to join the fun
That response is unnecessary. The OP was simply trying to keep the topic on turtles such as freshwater, muds, musk's etc., and not tortoises. Obviously, as the thread is in the water turtles section. So why take offence to his gentle reminder?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This summer I plan on building a "Musk Turtle Creek" I want to build a "Pond" thats only 12-20 inches deep about 15-20 feet long. Of course fencing to keep em in and netting to keep the birds out. The water will slowly move from one side to the other with lots of little places for them to enjoy. And lots of basking areas as well. The personality on these Razorbacks is like any other Turtle I've ever witnessed. They are truly "Hyper" and love new places to climb, hide and just chill out. I acquired these guys by rescue but am sure I will have Razorbacks my whole life. They in an aquarium are like watching a TV.