Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corfu, Greece
terry1.jpgterry2.jpgterry3.jpgterry4.jpg

Hi

Having finally got to grips with the digital camera ("Oh, that's what that lead is for....!") I can now upload pictures of our little terrapin.

He was found in a river/sea mouth here in Corfu, Greece, but we've looked all over the internet and can find absolutely no pictures of any others that look like him, so we've no idea what he is, or for that matter if he is actually a she!!

Any help greatly appreciated, he's thriving now, was the size of a 2 euro piece when we got him and currently lives in his aquarium on the end of our bar - customers love him, in fact I think more of our regulars come in to see him than they do us!

Thanks in advance

Helen

Last edited by a moderator:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Mauremys caspica - Caspian Pond Turtle

How do you have him set up and what are you feeding him. I'm just calling it a him. I can't get a good read on the sex.

They're a pretty hardy, fun turtle.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
He's got a long tail.... So we've always guessed it's a him.

He's in his aquarium, with a lovely shaped stone to crawl and bask on under his light. He gets loads of natural daylight and fed raw meat and commercial terrapin food.

How do I sex him properly - I think I need to put more pics up if there isnt an easy way to tell! If It's anything like my tortoises then pics will be the way!

H x

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Females will have a smaller, thinner tail, males will have a thicker longer tail. Also, on males, the cloaca will be located further down the tail than on females, but it is hard to see that from your pics. Generally they need to be 4 inches to sex them accurately. It looks like he might be a little to small to tell for sure but maybe someone here can give you an educated guess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cute little turtle! I've never seen a Caspian pond turtle before. They look quite a bit like the Pacific Pond turtle, but I see they're in a different classification.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Thanks all, nice to finally know what he is, not that it makes much difference to us - we love him whatever.

Be funny in summer trying to explain to the drunk British Tourists though.....!!

Will attempt a few more pics when I can.

H x

Status
Not open for further replies.