feeding troubles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corfu, Greece
Hi all,

My hubby and I have a water turtle (known in the UK as a terrapin?) I've looked at loads of pictures on here but he doesnt seem to match any of the breeds shown in pictures given by other members! He's def not a slider, is fairly similar to a diamondback, but his skin is much darker.

We live in Corfu, Greece, and his story is that we have a rather strange river by the side of us, it is supposedly fresh water, but at one end it goes into the sea - never seen anything like it. My daughters found him, along with the egg he came out of on 17th April this year, brought him into our bar with the usual shouts of "Mummy - can we keep him?? and although we have a rule that anything they find in the water has to go back if it's alive we elected that he was too small to survive on his own and got a tank set up for him.

He has lived in his tank on the bar all summer, become very popular with our tourist visitors and a very definite member of our family (lots of animals...lots!) but the season ended a month ago so we brought him home.

He's always been a healthy eater but during the last few days he's refusing his food (generic dried stuff from the pet shop) and has taken to sleeping underwater instead of on his sunny rock..... We've tried changing his food but nothing seems to get him interested. Any ideas?

I have got pics of him but this PC has no memory card slot so I need to get hubby to put them on his PC and email them over.

Thanks in advance

Helen

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
First thing I'ld check is temps. water/basking area.Do you have a UVB bulb?.A pic of him to determine what you have is really needed so we can get a proper set up...I'm thinking it's probally a Balkan Terrapin.

Balkan Terrapin.jpg

Is this what you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
HI Yvonne and ZZZDanz

No, neither pic matches, he's more spotty than stripy...

He's under a light and as mentioned in my previous tortoise threads, we've still got lovely mediterranean temperatures over here. I'm going to move him into more sunlight tomorrow just to see if thats any improvement.

H x

Status
Not open for further replies.