What I Learned about Burmese Star Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I'm doing research on Burmese Star Tortoises because I'm interested in getting one. I'll have to save up a lot of money because they're really expensive! But they're hardier in captivity than Indian Stars, which is good because I'm a first-time tortoise owner. I'm interested in a hatchling from KenS, and hoping I can get it after saving up. Its the particular hatchling below, I really hope I can get it!! These are truly beautiful animals, and are critically indangered because people hunt them for food in their native country of Myanmar. Their scientific name is Geochelone Platynota. In their natural habitat, they can sustain temps as low as 38 F! And as high as 100 F. Though in captivity an ideal temp is around 87 degrees when indoors, and as low as 70 over night. In captivity outside, they have sustained temps of 45 degrees with no harm. Adults staple foods include escarole, kale, string beans. It also said apples, but I thought fruits weren't suitable for an everyday diet??..Babies can be fed the same diet but chop or grate veggies before serving. Also, the calcium supplement should be put on their food. Hatchlings need to soak every other day. Adults soak once or twice monthly. Leafy wild greens are good and contain more nutrients than store bought. Adults require less water. Adequate humidity prevents pyramiding. Lighting 15 hr daily with UVA & UVB. Any tips on humidity levels? Anyway, I hope this info is correct so I can take the best possible care of a Burmese star tort. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 67

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Have you talked to Ken yet? He is a great guy. He will let you know anything you need to about them. I would stay away from apples. Especially daily. They do contain a good deal of vitamins but not a daily food staple.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
tortadise said:
Have you talked to Ken yet? He is a great guy. He will let you know anything you need to about them. I would stay away from apples. Especially daily. They do contain a good deal of vitamins but not a daily food staple.

Also if I remember right has natural sugar and can make a torts stomach upset of given a lot, great treats tho

5 Year Member
Thanks! :) That's what I thought, because I've heard a lot about how fruits aren't a good dietary staple. Who is Ken? Does he know a lot about Burmese stars?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ken is the "kens" you are referring too. The baby photo you attached is produced from his adults. Sugars are a common issue. Mainly it is the glucose levels. Kidney and liver values are a important balance to keep in order with all and many specific species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to get the right info from a member that raises them. Lots of info on the Internet or books are old and outdated. For instance, adults require less water. Although it may be true, that doesn't mean to not have water available 24/7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only know of only one decent book on them. Its by Jerry Fife. Called "Star Tortoises".

Click here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-17813.html

Also, given the status of these tortoises, I would not normally recommend them as a first tortoise for someone. Have you considered getting your feet wet with a more common species to gain some experience first? They are reportedly very easy to care for and hardy, but I know I made a lot of mistakes when I first started keeping turtles and tortoises. It would be a shame to make a beginner's mistake with such a precious species. Know what I mean? Just some food for thought for you. If you are determined, and have help from Ken, you should be fine, but that's an awfully big bite to chew for your first one. Good luck, either way.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Yes, I emailed Ken about the baby tortoise and also CLMoss sent me a helpful care sheet :)

Ken is in my neck of the woods! Really nice guy! Also he know my (the) breeder that I bought Becky & River from (small world). This is a passion for Ken...he is not a broker.

~C

5 Year Member
Thanks yes Ken seems like a good breeder. I would definitely rather purchase my tortoise from a passionate tortoise lover than some inexperienced person just trying to make money! Like on the website turtle / tortoise supply. I read reviews like 'my tortoise died within a week'. It's just sad how some breeders don't care about their animals, and sell them way overpriced. Ken seems very reasonable and passionate about what he does, and I'd be happy to purchase one from him. Still doing lots of research though!! On best type of enclosure, feeding, nutrition, etc. Plus saving up money!! Can't wait until I can finally order one. CLMoss, your care sheet is a real help!! Thank you! You have beautiful tortoises

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your doing the right thing most do not. Research before taking the plunge. Unfortunately most companies get bad reviews from impulse buys, or ignorant care and blame the supplier, some may rightfully deserve those negative reviews. I don't know, Its not for me to decide. Tortoise supply is very good. Tyler is a member and an outstandingly knowledgeable tortoise person. Just do your research on this species, ask all the questions, here, and talk to keepers, breeders, and people that have extended experience with the species. I have to say having kept this species personally for 12 years they are quite easy. But my mind, care, and prerogative differ from yours. So choose your method of which is best to execute attaining this species your way. I do commend you for researching first and then acquiring when ready. Most do not and it ends up poorly sometimes.

5 Year Member
Oh very sorry yes I know Tortoise Supply is a great breeder, I was referring to Turtle / Tortoise Shack. Sorry for my mistake!! In Tortoise shack, I have heard hardly any good reviews. I heard they abuse their animals?? Anyway I would never buy one from there but sorry Tortoise Supply I did not mean that about you! But Tortoise Shack, I'm afraid, is overpriced. Most videos from unboxings from Tortoise Shack I saw health concerns for the little tortoises!! Some were even having spasm-like problems and most I saw probably had MBD. It is very sad but the truth, there should not be breeders like that online. :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Oh very sorry yes I know Tortoise Supply is a great breeder, I was referring to Turtle / Tortoise Shack. Sorry for my mistake!! In Tortoise shack, I have heard hardly any good reviews. I heard they abuse their animals?? Anyway I would never buy one from there but sorry Tortoise Supply I did not mean that about you! But Tortoise Shack, I'm afraid, is overpriced. Most videos from unboxings from Tortoise Shack I saw health concerns for the little tortoises!! Some were even having spasm-like problems and most I saw probably had MBD. It is very sad but the truth, there should not be breeders like that online. :(

No problem. I have seen and actually been a very close victim to their bad review. Long story short they frauded the name I had pioneered online tortshack.com and I got affiliated with their close name domain, and had to steer very far away from that name. So I know what your talking about.

Back to topic. Ken is a great very precise, clerical, knowledgeable person with this species. So ask away with him. We talk regularly and he is an outstanding person with the passion needed for this species, and hobby. I have purchased from him and will be very shortly purchasing more too. They are a lot easier than you think. Good luck when you do get one. They are great, very hardy, and packed with personality.

5 Year Member
That is very terrible! :(
I'm so glad for the reviews.
Are

That is very terrible! :(
I'm so glad for the reviews.
Do you have any experience with hatchling Burmese?

Check out this beautiful Burmese star! It was on a care site. Looks like it has flowers on its shell. ImageUploadedByTortForum1372825511.553377.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is a nice Specimen indeed. Its nice seeing 60+ year animals. They loose the star pattern and go completely blonde. I do have experience with hatchlings. I have a wee one now i am raising up now in fact.

and my old man male.

5 Year Member
This was from a site with care info from an experienced veterinarian ( this is his tortoise). You have some beautiful tortoises!! What type of an enclosure do you keep your hatchling in? And use for substrate? Just getting some different opinions.. CLMoss said she uses a 30 gal terrarium for her babies and they do very well, and uses cut up damp newspaper for easy cleaning, good traction, and high humidity. Any other suggestions?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I use the these for all my hatchlings or babies http://www.petsupplyshowroom.com/pr...55&gclid=CIju0PPBkrgCFWI57AodNBEAAA&gclsrc=ds.
Coco coir with mixed cypress mulch(you can use any top soil, earth you want really besides 100% sand, MVB 100 watt bulb on right side for basking heat etc.. in addition I also have a 18" 8.0 uvb tube bulb. 3 hides, and semi shallow water dish. I also use foggers for humidity. I alternate humidity levels for platynota. They may come from Myanmar but are found in some pretty dry deciduous dry forest areas, with monsoon elevated rain amounts that lead to higher humidity about . I also use a heat pad underneath the enclosure when forecast dictates below 75 degrees, I turn the heat pad on to ensure consistent heat to minimum comfortable levels. The adults I put outside in the summer. They love water. Even in Texas they can handle the extreme heat of 105+ no problem. Which Myanmar can get 110 during summer anyways. The rainy season in their natural ecosystem is 5 months long and very heavy rains, up to 40" during the monsoon season. However these guys can be found primarily in the arid regions in Myanmar and are not exposed to this much rainfall. They are typically found in the 2 main arid areas in the nation. But not 100% arid. They are in a mix of arid/tropical locations but venture between both ecosystems, and can withstand both weather systems that are handed within these systems of environment. also their are techniquely 2 types of platynota in Myanmar. A mountain type, and lower land arid bush land type. 98% of US stock is the lower arid bush land type. But that you don't have to worry about care at all. They both are same, and very easy to care for. Humidity is really the only difference in the 2 types. They can contract bacterial infections if kept too wet, but all tortoises can also cantract same issues if kept improper(too wet or too dry)

Status
Not open for further replies.