What exactly counts as dark leafy greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
I have my little russian who is growing up so fast! His growth lines are getting bigger and bigger!!

Well my question is... I've been trying to make sure he has plenty of variety in his diet, but I don't quite understand what everyone means by dark leafy greens are good. I live on 6 acres of land and have so many "dark green leafy weeds" I just am so scared some may not be good for him. I read somewhere on here that their instinct will kick in and they will know what is good or bad for them so can I just go out pick them and let him choose?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well...it would be a good thing for you to somewhat become familiar with what seeds you have....you can take a clear pic and then go to a local nursery to your area and have them id for you...(if they are an actual nursery they should be helpful)...:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Try the Tortoise Table Plant Booklets as a starting point.

By dark leafy greens - what is really meant is avoid "standard" and iceberg lettuce which have very little fibre and lots of water - so limited nutritional value.

The Tortoise Table Plant database is also a great place to check out those weeds, supermarket finds and garden plants to see what is safe to feed.

A good rule of thumb is that anything that grows from a bulb and plants with shiny leaves are best avoided. There are others that must be avoided too, but that at least cuts out a some instantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.