What dog food do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've been using Canidae for a while now with good results. I'm glad I never have to ask for it since I don't know how it's pronounced.

If I run out of that and need something in a hurry, the best thing I can find at the grocery store is Rachael Ray Nutrish (the only one there with meat as the 1st ingredient). I stay away from anything with corn since it's just a filler and some dogs have allergies to it. Most grocery store dog food has corn as the first ingredient. :(

Oops, I put this in the wrong forum...should be in other pet talk.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use Canidae all life stages, chicken & wild rice and love it! I stopped using it when it was recalled for humans getting salmonella poisoning but then after my Dane refused to eat other foods I went back to it. My Basset eat's Blue Buffalo but she is getting a little fat so I am on the search for something new for her.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I used to buy Flint River Ranch after hearing good things about it, but the dog hated it. I had to hook it up with something else to make him eat it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use Taste of the Wild (High Praire Formula). Misty does quite well on it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I used to use Canidae as well. It's a good quality food that is more affordable. Another that i have used is Whole Earth Farms (by Merrick). It is also a good quality food that is more affordable. My older dog has had ear infections for years, and to be honest the food she did best on I'd say is Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am actually thinking of switching my basset to taste of the wild, I need to do something or my vet is going to be upset with me at my bassets annual check up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why can't the little kitty eat the same as the big monster?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I was using Stella & Chewy's, then Wellness super5mix, now Holistic Health Extension...thinking of trying Wellness Core or Innova Evo.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
emysemys said:
Why can't the little kitty eat the same as the big monster?

I have Dagny on a low protein dog food fit for a large active dog. My lazy chubby basset needs moderate protein, low fat. I have been trying to walk her more but she hates walking in the cold and whines the whole time and walks slowly behind me like I am leading her to her death. The neighbors are starting to make fun of her and i am tired of fiighting her!!! So my only alternative is switching her food.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
My lab eats Blue Buffalo Basics- grain free
My schnauzer eats t/d Canine Dental Health

I really like the blue buff. My dog seems to maintain weight well, she loves it, and it has improved her allergies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
We no longer have our Great Danes but when we did, they were fed a RAW meat diet. The Prey model version NOT the BARF version with fruits and veggies.

After lots, lots and LOTS of reading into and talking with other RAW feeders about it I was convinced that it was the perfect diet for my danes.

The meat, bone, organ ratios and the cutting up, bagging, freezing, serving, etc. became second nature to me very quickly.

We bought in bulk from a local butcher and had a deep freezer just for the "dog food". This helped keep costs down. When comparing the price of feeding a high quality kibble to amount we spent for raw meat, I spent less on the meat.

Raw isn't for everyone. While I feel that almost any dog can do great on a raw diet, there are some people that either can't or dont want to dedicate the time to making sure its done right. It is easier to scoop out some kibble from a bag and dump it into a bowl. No question there.

I got so many compliments from the look of my dogs. Amazing coats, wonderful body shape. NO GAS!!! Any Dane owner can appreciate that ;) LOL
Perfectly clean teeth. And the poop...oh the wonderful poop. It was smaller than my family's small dog's poop. If left on the grass within a few days it became white, chalky and broke up to the point that you hardly knew it was there.

I will only ever feed the prey model raw diet if/when we get a dog again.

We have a cat who is also raw fed.

Raw diets are very controversial. However you asked about dog food and this has been my all time favorite dog food :) :) My dogs favorite food too!!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I feed my Dogs a Raw diet.
Its been amazing. One of my dogs used to have seizures at least 3 times a month... She hasn't had one since we switched her to a raw diet. waste is smaller, and they never turn it down. I get mine from a butcher who sells it already cut up and mixed to the meat, bone, organ, and green tripe ratios i specify. I also give them raw fish and supplement glucosamine.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
My Mom has made our dogs raw food for over 14 years now. My cousin was the one who started The Healthy Hound in Vancouver, she quickly convinced almost everyone in the family to switch over. Our old dog Ted had severe leukemia, we discovered it when he was 4 and by then it was really advanced. That was when we switched over, the vet gave him two weeks maximum, he made it another 2 1/2 years. When it's a member of the family any extra time is worth so much. Even the vet reluctantly admitted that it had to be the raw food and supplements, this was before everyone realized that raw food was really awesome.

We recently had to switch our formula to cooked turkey, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes and carrots because we found out that our old dog has essentially no liver and that the ground beef was actually not so good, too much iron put stress on the tiny scrap of liver left to her.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I use the grain-free Blue Buffalo. I'm a pet food snob, have been for a long time. All of the foods and diets mentioned so far are excellent choices. I don't believe there is one perfect food/diet - it depends on your wallet, your pet and what you have available to you. I personally feel that 90% of the food available in most grocery stores is garbage. It may not harm your pet, but it definitely isn't benefiting them. Dogs and cats are carnivores - they don't need excess amounts of peas, carrots or cranberries in their diet (unless, like the above poster, they have medical issues requiring alternate sources of protein). We think a "stew" of meat and potatoes looks good but the truth is, the majority of vegetation in a wolfs diet comes from the stomach of the animal they killed...they don't have any need for a salad or sweet potato casserole. Since all dogs derive from the wolf, we should strive to feed them similarly. If any of the first three ingredients are "by-product" - don't buy it. By-product includes feathers, beaks, feet, skin (with or without fur) and bones (cooked bones - not raw bones which are beneficial). By-products do contain a scarce amount of protein but they also carry heavy amounts of ash which increases your pets risk of kidney problems. Stay away from "chows" or anything with "chow" in the title. Dog chows typically have more grain than meat. Dogs under a year should never be fed lamb. Lamb is considered hypo-allergenic. If you feed your puppy lamb and the puppy develops skin issues or food allergies, you have wiped out your cheapest form of hypo-allerginic protein. I realize that the food I use is much more expensive than a bag of Meow Mix or Purina. HOWEVER, because of the potency and richness of the grain-free formula I use, my cats/Dogs not only consume less food, they also produce significantly less (and less smelly) waste. If you use a product like Old Roy, Dad's, or any other generic chow - I challenge you to do a 3 month trial with your own pet on a high quality/ high protein diet and note the difference. Some of the junk sold in grocery stores is the equivalent of you eating a diet of pork rinds and twinkies - can you survive? Sure. But your long term health will reflect that diet in your energy levels, moods, skin, hair, eyesight and quality of life.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Right now they're on 4Health by Diamond. I know a lot of people don't like Diamond but the dogs are doing well on it and it fits in the budget. Plus Canidae, Kirkland Brand Grain Free (Costco) and Taste of the Wild are also made by Diamond. It has no added grains and is corn/soy free with real meat, so for $32 for 35 pounds it is a good deal. I just keep an ear out for recalls since most of those are for human sake. I always wash my hands after feeding them anyway. I've considered doing raw as well and would if we had the freezer space for it. Our freezer can't even hold our own food since it's only about 10" wide, 10" deep and 4 feet tall of space... Maybe someday.

Just wanted to give a head's up for anyone who gives chicken jerky treats to return/throw them out since most of them are on a recall list right now for having chemicals from imported chicken. Waggin Train and basically all the others are being recalled.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
It absolutely depends on what dog you have....I use this stuff called Preference http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/) mixed with Precise Hollistic dog food, mixed with Primal nuggets....Large breeds should not have high protein. Over 34% protein is bad for a great dane...They grow to quick, can make them knuckle over, leads to heart issues down the road....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RedfootsRule said:
It absolutely depends on what dog you have....I use this stuff called Preference http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/) mixed with Precise Hollistic dog food, mixed with Primal nuggets....Large breeds should not have high protein. Over 34% protein is bad for a great dane...They grow to quick, can make them knuckle over, leads to heart issues down the road....

I totally agree! I don't Feed my Dane high protien and she was never on "puppy" food and she is doing great! She has been on Canidae since the day we got her except when they pulled it all for the recall. She went on "Go" which looks great on paper but she hated it. I think the key to giving large breed dog's a good long life is low protien and preventative Gastro-pexi when they are fixed.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I use Science diet. They have so much research & control in their foods. When I was a Veterinary Tech. we used their specialized foods in the hospital for sick animals. My dogs are always healthy, shiny, & live long lives. I am for sure a Science Diet fan! Nutrition is worth the investment in people & pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.