Having problems with dog itching

meech008

5 Year Member
I have an appointment with the vet but I couldn't get him in until Friday so I figured I'd ask here while I waited.

My beagle has a terrible time with itching right now. It started back in January and it's just awful. He is constantly chewing on his back legs and right above his tail. The vet did a fecal and it was clear so she thought it could be diet related. She gave us a small bag of science diet and told us we could supplement him some coconut oil. He finished the science diet and seemed like he was doing MUCH better. So we got him limited ingredient grain free natural balance to gradually transition him from the science diet. The itching is back. His previous food was grain free. Could there be something in the grain free that he'd be allergic to? Is that common? I really appreciate and and all input! I hate to see the poor guy so miserable and itchy

meech008

5 Year Member
I forgot to mention that I've thoroughly checked and he does not have fleas or anything. He's on a good flea and tick and we rarely have problems with fleas.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I've known many dogs that have suffered from "the itchies" while fed processed kibbles. Then it all goes away once they switch to real food. :)

I'm a raw feeder (my dogs and cats have always been fed prey-model raw meats and bones) and being in that circle of friends I find many! who specifically made the switch BECAUSE of the itchies. They tried various kibbles, canned goods, grain free, prescription, allergy meds, steroids, injections....etc. but a diet of real food was eventually the cure.

This diet isn't for everyone but for those that commit to understanding it, preparing it and offering it to their canines....well we don't regret it!

I throw this out there as food for thought. Read up about the raw diet and see if you're willing to try. Read testimonies about the itchies going away on a raw diet and see if that peeks your interest.

I hope your dog finds relief....one way or another.

meech008

5 Year Member
Is it possible it's environmental? Also, what kind of grain free is it? Maybe it's not grain he's allergic to.
It's natural balance limited ingredient venison and sweet potato formula. I did notice it has potato protein in it and I know my sisters dog is allergic to that....I'm not sure. I don't know what could have changed in his environment, we've been in the same place for 4 years and he's just now showing these problems but it's definitely possible. I didn't think about that!

meech008

5 Year Member
I've known many dogs that have suffered from "the itchies" while fed processed kibbles. Then it all goes away once they switch to real food. :)

I'm a raw feeder (my dogs and cats have always been fed prey-model raw meats and bones) and being in that circle of friends I find many! who specifically made the switch BECAUSE of the itchies. They tried various kibbles, canned goods, grain free, prescription, allergy meds, steroids, injections....etc. but a diet of real food was eventually the cure.

This diet isn't for everyone but for those that commit to understanding it, preparing it and offering it to their canines....well we don't regret it!

I throw this out there as food for thought. Read up about the raw diet and see if you're willing to try. Read testimonies about the itchies going away on a raw diet and see if that peeks your interest.

I hope your dog finds relief....one way or another.
I've often thought of the raw diet but haven't done it yet because I'm worried about his teeth. He has severe periodontal disease that he's had since we got him from the pound. I'm worried if he'd be able to eat the bone. Is it expensive?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's natural balance limited ingredient venison and sweet potato formula. I did notice it has potato protein in it and I know my sisters dog is allergic to that....I'm not sure. I don't know what could have changed in his environment, we've been in the same place for 4 years and he's just now showing these problems but it's definitely possible. I didn't think about that!
Allergies develop over time. Environmental allergies are also a bit more common than food allergies. Though it could be either one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a dog has a flea allergy, all it takes is ONE flea to cause them to itch and scratch. Buy a flea comb and comb the itchy spot just above the tail. You may think you don't have fleas, but I'd be willing to bet there is one there.

meech008

5 Year Member
If a dog has a flea allergy, all it takes is ONE flea to cause them to itch and scratch. Buy a flea comb and comb the itchy spot just above the tail. You may think you don't have fleas, but I'd be willing to bet there is one there.
I'll do that Yvonne, thank you! I've heard good grade diatomaceous earth can be good with fleas. You're supposed to dust the dog with it. Seems awfully messy for an indoor dog but I'd be willing to try it along with the flea comb if I thought it'd help. What are your thoughts?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Fleas until proven otherwise. Pattern of chewing is consistent with flea allergy. Best product available for flea control right now is Bravecto.
Yvonne is correct, takes just 1 bite. May not find the fleas but that is the likely culprit. If dogs scratch in other locations, could be allergies to other things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree it sounds like flea itch. Also keep in mind, just for an FYI, foods with dyes causes a lot of itching problems, so always stay away from the pretty colored dog foods.
If it turns out to not be fleas, I would suggest asking the vet for prescription dog food. Hills prescription, I can't remember which one though, but I had a dog that always itched all over and the prescription dog food was all that helped.

meech008

5 Year Member
Fleas until proven otherwise. Pattern of chewing is consistent with flea allergy. Best product available for flea control right now is Bravecto.
Yvonne is correct, takes just 1 bite. May not find the fleas but that is the likely culprit. If dogs scratch in other locations, could be allergies to other things.
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

meech008

5 Year Member
I agree it sounds like flea itch. Also keep in mind, just for an FYI, foods with dyes causes a lot of itching problems, so always stay away from the pretty colored dog foods.
If it turns out to not be fleas, I would suggest asking the vet for prescription dog food. Hills prescription, I can't remember which one though, but I had a dog that always itched all over and the prescription dog food was all that helped.
Yeah he never gets food with dyes it really upsets his stomach if he does. I'll definitely ask the vet about the prescription dog food too. I hope it's something as simple as a flea allergy! Thank you for your input!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Bravecto is an FDA product (oral) by prescription only. Anything oral is by Rx only. That is why heartworm, oral flea and tick meds are by Rx only.
As far as food goes, Hill's Derm Defense has shown a lot of promise on managing allergies. Best oral medication for allergies is Apoquel. Only successes no failures yet.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Our beagle went thru the same thing.
Ended up he had flea allergic dermatitis.
You need the flea stuff that kills fleas on contact not once they
have bitten. Thats why you dont see the fleas cuz they died, but
the dog is still itchy cuz hes dealing with the allergic reaction.

Our beagle also had food & outdoor allergies to deal with.
Bad food made for endless ear infections, Natural Balance
limited ingredient food helped greatly.

Beagles are great dogs.