What does it mean? (turtle is light)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
What does it mean when a box turtle feels really light, almost hollow?

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
RE: What does it mean?

Is this a change from normal, or is this a new turtle?

Either way, it probably means they're underweight or really dehydrated. If there's been a sudden change in the turtle's weight with no explanation, I'd recommend a vet visit.
Is behavior still normal?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio

Have only had her for exactly one week today. She's been eating like a pig since I've gotten her. I'm starting to think it's a mixture of being dehydrated and very hungry. I'm going to start a growth chart for her today. I wish I would've weighed her last Friday when I got her. I think she's starting to get a little weight to her; she's feels a little heavier, but only a little.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas

even though i was weighing mine and knew he was gaining weight it still took some time before i could actually feel the difference in the weight gain. you do need to be weighing her though since that's really the only way to tell. good luck, and we all love to see pics!!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio

Pics will come soon - just haven't had enough time quite yet.

Yes, her eyes are very clear and beautiful and she has a beastly appetite, and she's very, very active.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

It usually means the turtle is dehydrated.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
My ttbt lefty has lost lots of weight...she was 630 now only 545...her eyes are clear..no nose bubbles..and active..but she refuses to eat anything....she drinks when i soak her nightly....idk what is wrong with her..but i fear she is going to die....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Soak her soak her soak her.....They LOVE water and many people are afraid to put them in it. Box turtles love to swim. I have 3 gulf coast boxies and 5 three toed babies and they love their bathes. Also, buy some super worms and some night crawlers and get some protein in her. You might also try a veggie omelet cooked with no oil and cooled to room temp. Mine love these and they love boiled chicken and boiled egg white.

A healthy boxie should feel heavy for its size. They are resiliant little guys so you should be ok if she is eating. Just give her variety.

jojodesca said:
My ttbt lefty has lost lots of weight...she was 630 now only 545...her eyes are clear..no nose bubbles..and active..but she refuses to eat anything....she drinks when i soak her nightly....idk what is wrong with her..but i fear she is going to die....

They can and do go through a summer hibernation like thing where they stop eating. Just keep feeding and get some stuff that wiggles. S/he will eat when ready. A healthy turtle will never starve itself to death. Mine stopped eating for over a month. Scared me to death and when they started eating again I called everyone I knew to tell them about it!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Saleama said:
Soak her soak her soak her.....They LOVE water and many people are afraid to put them in it. Box turtles love to swim. I have 3 gulf coast boxies and 5 three toed babies and they love their bathes. Also, buy some super worms and some night crawlers and get some protein in her. You might also try a veggie omelet cooked with no oil and cooled to room temp. Mine love these and they love boiled chicken and boiled egg white.

A healthy boxie should feel heavy for its size. They are resiliant little guys so you should be ok if she is eating. Just give her variety.

jojodesca said:

They can and do go through a summer hibernation like thing where they stop eating. Just keep feeding and get some stuff that wiggles. S/he will eat when ready. A healthy turtle will never starve itself to death. Mine stopped eating for over a month. Scared me to death and when they started eating again I called everyone I knew to tell them about it!

Tips taken. Thank you!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Do you know how they were kept before and what what they ate? Mine felt super light and hollow, too, when I first got them. Their skins had this grey colour; very wrinkly and sunken at the shoulders (is that the term for where the arm meet the carapace??). Romaine lettuce had been their staple and the substrate was dry bark; no moisture.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Jabuticaba said:
Do you know how they were kept before and what what they ate? Mine felt super light and hollow, too, when I first got them. Their skins had this grey colour; very wrinkly and sunken at the shoulders (is that the term for where the arm meet the carapace??). Romaine lettuce had been their staple and the substrate was dry bark; no moisture.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Interesting. The guy I got her from said she lived mostly outdoors and is brought into indoor enclosures only during the winter. Maybe she couldn't find enough to eat when she was outside??? I still haven't been able to get her to eat any fruit, not even a tomato or banana. I'm shocked because my other Easterns loved tomatoes and bananas.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Saleama said:

jojodesca said:

I keep putting it in front of her and hoping for the best..I am going to try the veggie omelet...I think all my turtles will like that...its been a very long time since she ate.....but i soak her nightly will baby food in the water to give her nutrients...and Im putting in new cuttle bone tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.