What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I have an idea on this little one but I want to see what others think? It's a juvi box turtle but what kind would you say? Oh not in the best shape, tomorrow morning I'm going to check this little one out and maybe give him a new home if the owner wants to give it up. Doesn't look like its doing so hot
893BB9BF-784A-4BDA-9EC0-754A070AF876-22909-000014B0282D3B82_zpsfc3eb1c1.jpg

A373B574-ED0B-4D41-AF3C-E6F572106C1E-22909-000014B02CE929AD_zpsafa3a00c.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Got the guy this morning and he looks very weak and non energetic, his eye hardly stay open and he looks on the verge of death. I have him in a mini enclosure I built, I have him in there, this coming week I'm going to try and get him to get some food. Really hope he makes it

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Poor guy! Thanks for helping him. He looks like an ornate to me. Let us know how he does.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yup looks ornate to me too, he's very dry and was just kept in a small tank, I'm going to let him get use to his new home, and hopefully he will eat a worm or two. Once he does it will be a good sign he's getting better. Ill keep everyone updated

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Definitely an ornate. Good luck with feeding him. Hopefully a worm will peak his interest.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
He needs humidity and proper lighting. His eyes look really swollen. Poor dude.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
What a precious little one!! I bet he would not have lasted much longer with his other owner!
So glad you have him/her now. I really hope he pulls thru!!! Good luck!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good save hope he gets better.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
He is walking around seems to have problems opening his eye, it's not like glued shut its almost like he can't open them or he's blind. I soaked him which usually does the trick as far as eyes goes, nothing. I think he might make it he's very weak and hasn't ate for me yet . Hopefully today he does

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would get some terramycin powder(for poultry) to add to his soak water with vitamins also. Also some terramycin eye ointment. I would try smelly food (canned cat food) as well as live (worms and pill bugs)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad to see you post this, Dennis. I've used Terramycin (for poultry and hogs) for a long time, and it is my antibiotic of choice before Baytril. So many people have told me that this type of terramycin doesn't do any good for turtles and tortoises, but I still use it anyway. My turtles and tortoises get better/well, but I have no way of knowing if it was the medication or the extra special care. My sister uses it too.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks for those recommendation I'm going to have to get some I that powder, where do I get it? Also he nibbled on some kale which is good shows he wants to make an attempt at eating, worms didn't get him interested going to try wax worms seems to be a favorite for boxies

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Tetracycline has been used for a long time and is a very effective antibiotic, especially for box turtles who will soak in it. Whenever I lance a ear infection, I like to soak them in it also. It works well internally and externally.
Yvonne G said:
I'm so glad to see you post this, Dennis. I've used Terramycin (for poultry and hogs) for a long time, and it is my antibiotic of choice before Baytril. So many people have told me that this type of terramycin doesn't do any good for turtles and tortoises, but I still use it anyway. My turtles and tortoises get better/well, but I have no way of knowing if it was the medication or the extra special care. My sister uses it too.

You should be able to get it at a feed store. I'm looking at a package made by :DURVET - Tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder 6.4 oz packet. Agrilabs makes a soluable: Vitamins and electrolites "plus", which I like to add as well.I paid $2.49 for the vitamins and $5.99 for the terramycin. If you can't find the eye ointment, a dab of Vaseline after the antibiotic soak would probably suffice. I'd soak him for a couple hours at a time.
Millerlite said:
Thanks for those recommendation I'm going to have to get some I that powder, where do I get it? Also he nibbled on some kale which is good shows he wants to make an attempt at eating, worms didn't get him interested going to try wax worms seems to be a favorite for boxies

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Little update on this guy, it's been almost a week since I saved this little one, he's been in a small enclosure where I can keep an eye on him and make sure he's not getting any worse. He hasn't dug into the substrate ever to sleep, guessing he just doesn't have the energy, he sleeps mostly above ground. He has had his eye shut the last 5 day. But this morning I looked inside and he has his eyes semi open and can see. He been soaked everyday since I got him, he's making progress. He ate today! Which is a good step toward the right direction, so far he's looking better andante in a few he will be healthy once again

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im glad that he is better keep us posted, i hope that he will open his eyes soon

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.