Tort Identification

rebeccalynn1208

Alright, so my best friend has this tortoise, but he doesn't know what type it is. He wants to he a better tort owner and I'm seeing if we can identify it. Any information on this little lady would be fabulous. Oh and I don't know what category this goes to so...move it if it's in the wrong one. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402356033.260795.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402356055.707954.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402356068.021346.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's an eastern box turtle...Terrapene carolina carolina.

mikeh

5 Year Member
And its a female. It needs to be outdoors in heavily planted moist environment and NOT indoors on wood shavings. It will suffer. It looks wild caught - If it was found in the wild and is native it needs to be released.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
And its a female. It needs to be outdoors in heavily planted moist environment and NOT indoors on wood shavings. It will suffer. It looks wild caught - If it was found in the wild and is native it needs to be released.

If kept for too long can they go back to being wild again?

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Depends on how long you have kept it, and other variables. Why do you ask? Do you have one that you are considering releasing?
No just genuinely curious. I had a dog who was ferel for a few months and took a while to get over his food scarfing, trash digging tendencies, and by the time we had him for a year he was a perfect gentlemen, but I had a feeling if he got loose he'd still retain his knowledge. Might take a few days to get it but he'd get it back. I was wondering if torts were the same way. If they retained that instinct since they spent years in the wild and in captivity still got to hunt though predators were taken out of the picture. Tonk was always car savy. I'm just asking so if I ever come across someone who's in the situation so I could help them.