What do you think? (inactive)

Bosh29

Location (City and/or State)
Devon
Just got 2 Hermanns 2 weeks ago. Just waking up at the moment. But they haven't been exploring much. They just stay in a corner and sleep. They eat and have a bath every day. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is it normal for babies to sleep soo long. They were hatched in November. 1557125460888.jpeg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Just got 2 Hermanns 2 weeks ago. Just waking up at the moment. But they haven't been exploring much. They just stay in a corner and sleep. They eat and have a bath every day. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is it normal for babies to sleep soo long. They were hatched in November. View attachment 271525
Can we see a picture of your enclosure?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Just got 2 Hermanns 2 weeks ago. Just waking up at the moment. But they haven't been exploring much. They just stay in a corner and sleep. They eat and have a bath every day. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is it normal for babies to sleep soo long. They were hatched in November. View attachment 271525
Oh yes, I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!!!:)

What are the temps of the basking spot and ambient temps?

Bosh29

Devon
Oh yes, I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!!!:)

What are the temps of the basking spot and ambient temps?
Basking is about 25'c ~ 29'c. and ambiant around 17'c ~ 19'c.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am not familiar with Hermans, however I don't see any hides or plants in there. Your little ones need to feel secure and there is no provision for security for them. Put a few hides and plants where they can hide under in. They will be happier for it. I am not sure about Hermans, so I can be wrong but having two together is not good. The one is bullying the other. The fact that they are together like in your picture tells me that the one is bullying the other. Babies do sleep a lot, however they do perk up during the day at some point. If your little ones are only sleeping and you know for a fact that they are not exploring while you are at work or away, then it could be because the both of them are unhappy with their situation. So add in some hides, provide some plants to hide under, give them their own space and then see if that makes a difference.

Bosh29

Devon
I am not familiar with Hermans, however I don't see any hides or plants in there. Your little ones need to feel secure and there is no provision for security for them. Put a few hides and plants where they can hide under in. They will be happier for it. I am not sure about Hermans, so I can be wrong but having two together is not good. The one is bullying the other. The fact that they are together like in your picture tells me that the one is bullying the other. Babies do sleep a lot, however they do perk up during the day at some point. If your little ones are only sleeping and you know for a fact that they are not exploring while you are at work or away, then it could be because the both of them are unhappy with their situation. So add in some hides, provide some plants to hide under, give them their own space and then see if that makes a difference.
Oh I see. What type of hides can I get? They don't seem to be fighting or anything. They just ignore each other. What else can I get for their table?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh I see. What type of hides can I get? They don't seem to be fighting or anything. They just ignore each other. What else can I get for their table?
For Hides you can get terracota plant pot or a margerine tub with a door cut in it. Put plants in there so they can hide under them. Bostern ferns, spider plants etc. Plants which will overhang from their pots. I need to find the post that Markw84 made where he shows an enclosure with plants. The point is they need hiding places to make them feel secure.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I like using fiddle stick rabbit huts for mine (maybe get a couple so they can hide from each other if they need to)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Here is a pic as I was a bit vague

Terracotta pots and tubs are cheaper and can make great hides as Carol said.

Attachments

• DCD7155D-95A5-498A-BDA5-BD2C961318FA.png
    DCD7155D-95A5-498A-BDA5-BD2C961318FA.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 13

Bosh29

Devon
Here is a pic as I was a bit vague

Terracotta pots and tubs are cheaper and can make great hides as Carol said.
Ah I see. At the moment they are sleeping in corners of the table. A hide sounds good. Thanks for all the advice. Any other advice you can give me?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I would bump up the temps as well, my basking spots are around 32 degrees C maybe a tad higher. Ambient shouldn’t really fall below 22 degrees in my experience. Is it possible you could get a hotter bulb or maybe put it more in the ce

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think it could be your temps, as Ben said, you need to bump up your basking spot to around 35-37 also an ambient around 24/25 would also help. Plenty of hiding places, real or fake plants are fine, I use a combination of both.