Hiding tortoise

joyo

Location (City and/or State)
London, England, United Kingdom
Hi , I rescued 2 hermanns ,uk , both have pyramiding. I have moved them to there out door enclosure 2 weeks ago (indoors at night). One Tort happily exploring and eating, one away hiding and not eating much but a little lettuce for last few days , is this normal behaviour as I suffer with anxiety , he's not coming out to bask at all

Attachments

• 16863156291086959633756047230512.jpg
    16863156291086959633756047230512.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230607_172135.jpg
    20230607_172135.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is hiding from the other tortoise. They do badly kept in pairs. Each needs his own separate enclosure. Experts here will come along and let you know what else is needed to be done for them. Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi , I rescued 2 hermanns ,uk , both have pyramiding. I have moved them to there out door enclosure 2 weeks ago (indoors at night). One Tort happily exploring and eating, one away hiding and not eating much but a little lettuce for last few days , is this normal behaviour as I suffer with anxiety , he's not coming out to bask at all
Tammy said it. They should NEVER be kept in pairs. Separate them immediately.

Also, that water dish is just about unusable for a tortoise due to the high sides. Get a terra cotta plant saucer and sink it into the substrate. No need for rocks in the water dish. That will only collect debris and make the water unsanitary faster.

They need a heated shelter for your cold nights.

Check this thread out and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Yes - major signs of bullying. What looks like happy behavior for dogs/cats (being near each other, following around, etc) is the opposite in tortoises. You need separate enclosures for them or to re-home one.

The link Tom gave for new people is a great place to start: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954. LOTS of info there, but worth wading through. Make sure you get the right food, etc.

@Lyn W is an active UK member, can also provide guidance for your area, or at least point you in directions...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, I'm in Wales.
Sadly as you will know by now - torts should never be kept in pairs and they will each need a minimum space of 4 x 8 feet (approx 125cm x 250 cm) but the bigger the better.
As well as the thread Tom posted this is also invaluable -
Tom keeps them both up to date and have the best advice you'll find anywhere.

You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk a good guide for finding safe foods for your torts.

There is a lot of old information about tort care still being passed around and pet shops often sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit, so ignore anything you've read elsewhere and check here before buying any equipment - members could save you a lot of money and vet fees.

Are they outside 24/7 or just during the day?
If they are outside at night you'll need to predator proof the enclosure with a cover - rats can do terrible damage to torts. Maybe add a hide that can be locked at night.
You could probably do with a more shady area out of the sun which also makes torts feel more secure.

Let us know how you get on and there's always someone around on the forum to help.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He is hiding from the other tortoise. They do badly kept in pairs. Each needs his own separate enclosure. Experts here will come along and let you know what else is needed to be done for them. Welcome!
Great advice!!!