what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
so, i found a new reptile store near where i live, and went in and oh my goodness! i was appalled by the condition of the tortoises and turtles....they had bins and bins of box turtles shoved under the shelves and were just living in a small amount of dirtywater, no lighting and some were on top of eachother because there just wasnt anough room. i asked them why they had so many and i guess they have had that many for a month or so....i finished looking around and quietly and politely left. i dont know what to do! i dont know where to begin to start! im so frustrated! they claimed to give the box turtles a bath every morning(which im sure was done with a hose because of the amount of them) and they drain the tubs before the day starts. they have no substrate and poopy water to drink. these people are suppose to love reptilesbe "experts". there was one very sick box turtle there, he was just laying there with his eyes closed laying his head on the floor. i picked him up and he barely opened his eyes. ugh! i am so sad for these animals....what can i do? if anything?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Ashlie,
I'm not sure where you're located, but I would imagine you have a state agency you could report the pet shop to? Examples are Dept. of Environmental Conservation in NY, Maine Inland Fisheries and Widlife, etc. These agencies aren't necessarily meant to deal with captive animals specifically, but they may have some jurisdiction or be able to refer you to a state or federal agency that can deal with the mistreatment directly.

From your description, is sounds pretty bad and I'd try to report it. Others may have a better starting place for you to do so, but I think this could work.
-Chris

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
There are some great care sheets on this forum. What about printing one and giving that whomever is working that day. Maybe they are uneducated.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
well, i overheard the other guy selling a turtle to this lady and telling her about subsrates and uvb lights and vet checks and he also told her not to feed them just romaine. there were flies allover them! i will have to call someone tomorrow. I highly doubt they are uneducated, i think they run a business and are trying to make as much money as possible. because even before i was uneducated about turtles/tortoises I would still think those conditions were totally out of control. they also sell snakes and stuff, they had little lizards in plastic boxes under clear boxes of snakes....the poor lizard was just scratching at the box the entire time, i asked them if they could breathe because he looked very s tressed, and he said yeah hes fine.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Ashliewood said:
well, i overheard the other guy selling a turtle to this lady and telling her about subsrates and uvb lights and vet checks and he also told her not to feed them just romaine. there were flies allover them! i will have to call someone tomorrow. I highly doubt they are uneducated, i think they run a business and are trying to make as much money as possible. because even before i was uneducated about turtles/tortoises I would still think those conditions were totally out of control. they also sell snakes and stuff, they had little lizards in plastic boxes under clear boxes of snakes....the poor lizard was just scratching at the box the entire time, i asked them if they could breathe because he looked very s tressed, and he said yeah hes fine.

That does sound terrible and cruel!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ashlie, what city/state do you live in? I will see what contact I can get for you.....it is important for each of us to actively report this horrid condition.....

jackmac

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I was also quite appalled the other day when I visited my local repitle store. Mom brought her kids looking for a birthday gift when, one of the store members immediately brought a new sulcata hatchling for the kid to handle, and emphasized that it would be a great pet. Again, I was quite shocked. I was about to share my thoughts with the family, when the kid lost interest and decided to go with a pet lizard.
Jack

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
Ashliewood said:
so, i found a new reptile store near where i live, and went in and oh my goodness! i was appalled by the condition of the tortoises and turtles....they had bins and bins of box turtles shoved under the shelves and were just living in a small amount of dirtywater, no lighting and some were on top of eachother because there just wasnt anough room. i asked them why they had so many and i guess they have had that many for a month or so....i finished looking around and quietly and politely left. i dont know what to do! i dont know where to begin to start! im so frustrated! they claimed to give the box turtles a bath every morning(which im sure was done with a hose because of the amount of them) and they drain the tubs before the day starts. they have no substrate and poopy water to drink. these people are suppose to love reptilesbe "experts". there was one very sick box turtle there, he was just laying there with his eyes closed laying his head on the floor. i picked him up and he barely opened his eyes. ugh! i am so sad for these animals....what can i do? if anything?

I would report them to the Humane Society in your area. The Humane Society would have the authority to shut them down and remove the animals from the store. Don't wait, do it now so the animals won't have to live in those conditions much longer.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ashlie, okay so you can contact;

Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
1-877-933-7847
You can then request that a Game Warden go and do a site inspection for the conditions of the things you witnessed.

Warden will need the name, address of the shop
Exactly what you witnessed along with date and time
Your name and contact number

You can get the Wardens name/contact info so that you can follow up with them, just so you know what happened..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.