What breed are these?

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So I had someone contact me about some tortoises that they claimed were Russians, but they didn't look like any I have ever seen. I still have a hard time telling some breeds apart without actually seeing them, but to me they look like marginated?? Maybe, idk could someone correct me and let me know what they are.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
I don't believe those are Russans. My guess is Hermes. I know I spelled that on wronge. But they sure do not look Russian. Guess I will leave it up to the experts to id them

Rue

Canada
They look like my Hermann's! :)

Except I think mine is cuter...;)

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
I bet that's what they are. The perso. Told me they were from their very own breeding stock.... I'm not sure how you can breed them when you don't even have the correct breed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I bet that's what they are. The perso. Told me they were from their very own breeding stock.... I'm not sure how you can breed them when you don't even have the correct breed
That's what I think is very sad. Or when someone is selling a tort they have had for years and get the species wrong. How does someone not know the species they have. I don't get it either.
They look like Hermanns me too. @HermanniChris can confirm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait and see if HermanniChris comes here and tells us what they are. I'm guessing Graeca.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My thought was Greek or hermanns as well.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
They are Hermann's tortoises, easterns to be exact (T. h. boettgeri).

Really boggles my mind how people still claim stuff like this. No excuses anymore. Google is at everyone's finger tips.

And let me clarify that I don't mean this toward any of you on here...just the person offering them as an entirely different species.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
in the uk its quite common for people to deliberately give the wrong species. I believe its because russians/horsefields don't need any paper work to be sold, where as some of the others species do.

Rue

Canada
Hermann's need paper work but Horsfield's don't?

They are Hermann's tortoises, easterns to be exact (T. h. boettgeri).....

I am patting myself on the back for my first positive tortoise species ID...after only 3 weeks of Hermann's ownership! LOL. I think I'll treat myself to some watercress...:D

DPtortiose

in the uk its quite common for people to deliberately give the wrong species. I believe it’s because russians/horsefields don't need any paper work to be sold, where as some of the others species do.

Not quite right, T. hermanni/boetgerri/marginata etc, are indeed Cites A animals, meaning you need exemption certificate to keep one and abide by certain basic care guidelines.

However, CB animals (F2 generation and up!) are an exception from this rule. But do need a CITES transfer statement from the seller (price is about 15 euro's to reqeut one as a breeder), proving the legal acquisition of the animal(s). Every purchased animal needs one of those CITES transfer documents. If the animal is below 500 grams the document won’t need the CITES number associated with that specific animal. Sometimes another identification is required, German tortoises have pictures of the plastron and shell for example.

There is a big ‘but’ though. When the animal reaches 500 grams it will need its own CITES number and corresponding chip. But you need that CITES transfer statement when you bought the animal to request one. You also need to keep an administration about the animal. Documenting when you got it, when it bred, the offspring it produced and when it died.

Failing to do this will results in a hefty fine and possible confiscation of the animals. So it’s important that you get that CITES transfer statement and keep a decent adminstration.

So you can do two things: call CITES and explain your situation. I’ve spoken to them about getting an possible exemption certificate for a T. hermanni. The clerk told me they often grand these without much fuss, since it’s so a commonly kept species. But I’m not sure this policy is similar in the UK.

The other solution is informing the authority’s and report what has happened. This is black market trading and is not something that should be condoned in the hobby.

Awful situation, hope everything will be alright.

PS. Horsefields and Russians are CITES B animals. Meaning you do need paperwork! Only this time a simple transfer statement drafted by anyone will do and you need to keep an administration of your animals.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Not quite right, T. hermanni/boetgerri/marginata etc, are indeed Cites A animals, meaning you need exemption certificate to keep one and abide by certain basic care guidelines.

However, CB animals (F2 generation and up!) are an exception from this rule. But do need a CITES transfer statement from the seller (price is about 15 euro's to reqeut one as a breeder), proving the legal acquisition of the animal(s). Every purchased animal needs one of those CITES transfer documents. If the animal is below 500 grams the document won’t need the CITES number associated with that specific animal. Sometimes another identification is required, German tortoises have pictures of the plastron and shell for example.

There is a big ‘but’ though. When the animal reaches 500 grams it will need its own CITES number and corresponding chip. But you need that CITES transfer statement when you bought the animal to request one. You also need to keep an administration about the animal. Documenting when you got it, when it bred, the offspring it produced and when it died.

Failing to do this will results in a hefty fine and possible confiscation of the animals. So it’s important that you get that CITES transfer statement and keep a decent adminstration.

So you can do two things: call CITES and explain your situation. I’ve spoken to them about getting an possible exemption certificate for a T. hermanni. The clerk told me they often grand these without much fuss, since it’s so a commonly kept species. But I’m not sure this policy is similar in the UK.

The other solution is informing the authority’s and report what has happened. This is black market trading and is not something that should be condoned in the hobby.

Awful situation, hope everything will be alright.

PS. Horsefields and Russians are CITES B animals. Meaning you do need paperwork! Only this time a simple transfer statement drafted by anyone will do and you need to keep an administration of your animals.

WOW...:(