What are your biggest pet peeves?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay folks once more... let's get back to pet peeves

... waiting for somebody to say their pet peeve is a Mod reminding them to stay on topic. :p :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: What are your biggest pet peeves?

TiyahLove said:
The torts get a little different treatment though. I hate seeing all the flakey skin handing off all around their heads and especially the neck area so after their soak tip will dampen cotton swabs and gently roll it on the area that is shedding and it usually comes right off.
Oh and I'm not sure if I specified but my oil soak is 1/4 tsp oil per 2 cups warm water.

my only experience is my chameleon. while he's kept fairly humid he sheds for about a week. sometimes a small patch will stay for longer and it annoys me but i figure there's a reason it didn't fall off yet. i have tried and he gets angry so i assume it hurts. but the soaking and oil make sense, kinda like when you sit in the tub for too long and scabs come off :x (i know, nasty ha)

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I can't take the sound of animals licking themselves. I don't know why, but when my dogs or cats do I need to go to another room and I can still hear it echo through my ears.

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! This is the worst....I can hear a dog licking itself from one side of the house clear to the other....the dogs here know to knock it off with a finger snap....and if they should "forget" quickly, a pillow may launch in their general direction...lol....and I love dogs but don't not like to be licked by them, especially if one tries to slip me the tongue....ewwwww---it is creepy :p

I love my dog, but I swear he purposely lays down just out of reach so he can lick himself. Lol. Makes me cringe when my kids insist on letting him lick them. Ewwwww!

People who park in the handicap spaces, but very obviously don't need them.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: What are your biggest pet peeves?

Jacqui said:
Okay folks once more... let's get back to pet peeves

... waiting for somebody to say their pet peeve is a Mod reminding them to stay on topic. :p :D

Ha ha was not going there with a ten foot pole . Ha ha

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sh3wulf said:
People who park in the handicap spaces, but very obviously don't need them.

That's a good one! Of course only if they are not handicap. Some problems do not always show on the outside or may not be in an active mode that day. It's the healthy ones who do it just so they don't have to walk so far.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I am about as optimistic as they come. I try not to look at negatives or tiny incidents that cast a shutter of hatred or dislike. Being human (in this society too) I do have them like everyone else of course. But I do not fixate on them. Every day to me is a gift to be on this planet among the most interesting flora, fauna, and what makes it all work together. The sun rises and sets each day. But you never know when it may be your last rise or set that will be seen. So in a way I suppose my pet peeve is superficiality and lack of respect in everything. Anyways blah blah blah. Happy Tortin!

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
One more. When auto correct over corrects. Like in my last post on the thread. I tried to say "I" but it put "tip"

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
kathyth said:
Someone playing loud rap music in a car with children.

Definitely one of my peeves, although just sitting at a stop light and having the the -thump- -thump-of the rap music blaring. I will either put on Gospel or Death Metal music at high volume. Usually quiets them down pretty quick.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
zenoandthetortoise said:
1) People not named Tom in desperate need of validation that race to post "See Toms threads" to every new member and or sulcata/leopard question. First, referencing somebody else's info is not a contribution. Second, the threads are easy to find via search

2) people that respond to complicated questions such as species mixing with ambiguous authority without producing data, instead referencing vaguely defined groupthink,i.e. "It's frowned upon...etc"

I can add to that advice given when not asked for. For instance, when someone new posts their first picture as a proud new tort owner and they get hammered with questions and acusations regarding their care of the animal. Let people get used to the board, welcome tham and ask them to please ask if they have any questions regarding the care of their new friend. So many times I see new people get blasted with unasked for criticism and then you never see them again.

Yvonne G said:
OO..OO..OO..I just thought of another one. It bugs the heck outta' me to read and hear people demean our precious chelonians with nick names. Two of the worst offenders are "boxie" and "sullie."

But I LOVE my boxies and my sullies just as much as I love my Leos, LOL, and in no way is calling them that demeaning, it is like calling children kiddos or rug rats. It is a term of endearment.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Arnold_rules said:
kathyth said:
Someone playing loud rap music in a car with children.

Definitely one of my peeves, although just sitting at a stop light and having the the -thump- -thump-of the rap music blaring. I will either put on Gospel or Death Metal music at high volume. Usually quiets them down pretty quick.

I really dislike their music thumping in my truck. I do what you do, but with country music. :D

miwhaley

Biggest pet peeve: the lady at pet smart just told me she feeds her tortoise hot dogs!?!??! What the heck! Anybody ever heard of this? I don't know about ya'll but I about threw up when I heard this because I won't even touch a hot dog myself let alone feed my herbivore friend it.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
ulkal said:
My pet peeve has actually to do with my pet.
I hate when strangers touch my dog without asking me. And when people with their dog come up to mine (without asking me again) to make them meet. Especially when theirs is not on a leash and mine is. And when I tell them politely to please call their dog back, they reply that "the dogs have to play" even when my pup obviously wants to get away...

Oh this bugs me too! People in my apartment complex have learned my dogs name and they think it's ok to call out to her. So annoying!

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I can add to that advice given when not asked for. For instance, when someone new posts their first picture as a proud new tort owner and they get hammered with questions and acusations regarding their care of the animal. Let people get used to the board, welcome tham and ask them to please ask if they have any questions regarding the care of their new friend. So many times I see new people get blasted with unasked for criticism and then you never see them again.

I completely agree, but FYI- you also get flak for daring to share a pet peeve, so brace yourself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feel bad about that too, but we really can't let it go without saying something. I hope we all would share the good info in a friendly and helpful way, and not accusatory or mean-spirited. Hard to show a "helpful" attitude in the written word, though.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
miwhaley said:
Biggest pet peeve: the lady at pet smart just told me she feeds her tortoise hot dogs!?!??! What the heck! Anybody ever heard of this? I don't know about ya'll but I about threw up when I heard this because I won't even touch a hot dog myself let alone feed my herbivore friend it.

No, not personally but I have heard of folks doing that. I did once while doing an educational program have a person who routinely fed their box turtle pizza.

miwhaley

Jacqui said:
miwhaley said:

No, not personally but I have heard of folks doing that. I did once while doing an educational program have a person who routinely fed their box turtle pizza.

I thought she was insane, personally. And pizza? People do the strangest things I swear.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Way back in the '50's and '60's I used to give my desert tortoises left over dinner - spaghetti, bread, salad with dressing, mashed potatoes. If you don't know any better, and they eat it, you do it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Have a friend who thinks it is ok to feed his box turtle spoiled meat. Her favorite according to him is spoiled bologna. I tried to steal her from him but instead talked him into building her an outdoor area which she promptly escaped from and is now free to live her life!

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Jacqui said:
miwhaley said:

Were they "Teenage Mutant Ninja Box Turtles"? If so, makes total sense to me.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Arnold_rules said:

Were they "Teenage Mutant Ninja Box Turtles"? If so, makes total sense to me.
[/quote]

:D Nopers. This was just before the first TMNTs came out.