What are your biggest pet peeves?

ulkal

5 Year Member
Totally agree. Some dogs do not like that and I think it is disrespectful
to not accept that fact. It can also be dangerous.

I have a rescue who was a very timid dog and tried to avoid dogs she did not know. She is better now and gets along well with the dogs of my friends. But I had instances when I verbally abused other dog owners, because they would not leave me and my pup alone(who was clearly scared).I saw no other way of driving them away (after I asked them politely, tried to walk away from the other dog, only to get lectured how Im doing everything wrong not to force my dog to play with theirs)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I guess my pet peeve is animal cruelty too. Unfortunately, I can't mind my business, and have gotten in trouble more times than I can count because of this.....when I was younger, of course. Ah, the good old days.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Most of the pet peeves listed irk me. They aren't my pet peeves, but I agree with most of them, not all, but most, they are irksome:D

Sometimes i think the majority of pet peeves are some rule of society. Written or unwritten, it bugs the majority of us.
Some things are a true pet peeve, like my obsession with getting nasty flakey shed off.
It's so funny when I grab my beardies or my iguanas they either know they're going to get some lovins and fruit or they're gonna get the itchy dead skin off of them. They'll come up to me and stare until I get them out and my iguanas have come up with a way to let me know that they're going into shed. When I pick them up they will rub part of their body on me where they're "itchy" and do it for several minutes until I soak them.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
My Corgi was an abused rescue. He freaks out when someone approaches him quickly or gets near his face. It ticks me off when people don't listen and do just that and then complain when he growls and lunges.
My other pet peeve is when people smoke while holding their kids or driving with them... Grrrr

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All you dog pet peeve people need to take a much firmer stance with the general public when you are out there. Your dogs depend on you to stick up for them. None of the dog related pet peeves mentioned so far are pet peeves of mine because I don't allow ANY of those things to happen ever. No one's dogs are getting anywhere near mine without my consent whether they are on leash or off. My dogs know it too. The feelings of some ignoramus stranger are far less important to me than my dog's trust in me and relationship with me.

Happy to offer suggestions if anyone wants any. I've learned a few effective techniques over the years.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
People who think Mods should not voice their opinions.

Members who follow other members around only to try to pick fights.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
1) People not named Tom in desperate need of validation that race to post "See Toms threads" to every new member and or sulcata/leopard question. First, referencing somebody else's info is not a contribution. Second, the threads are easy to find via search

2) people that respond to complicated questions such as species mixing with ambiguous authority without producing data, instead referencing vaguely defined groupthink,i.e. "It's frowned upon...etc"

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
People who don't appreciate common courtesy. My son will run ahead and open a door and hold it for a crowd to go through. Of that crowd, maybe one person will thank him. I get so angry when this happens. No wonder why kids are turning into little jack asses. They are acting like the big ones they are exposed to daily

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sh3wulf said:
People who don't appreciate common courtesy. My son will run ahead and open a door and hold it for a crowd to go through. Of that crowd, maybe one person will thank him. I get so angry when this happens. No wonder why kids are turning into little jack asses. They are acting like the big ones they are exposed to daily

Oh I love those kinds of folks, especially kids (the ones who open doors). I agree common courtesy is getting to be a lost art and then folks do not show they appreciate those things. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Pots who call kettles black.

*clinches her side, rolling on the ground spewing laughter*

When people use there, their or they're or two, too, to incorrectly....like long sharp nails down a chalk board:p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
When people use there, their or they're or two, too, to incorrectly....like long sharp nails down a chalk board:p

Me tou

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:

I know I miss a few of mine, but it's the your and the you are that I goof up the most.

Neal said:
ascott said:

Me tou

:D Very cute!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OO..OO..OO..I just thought of another one. It bugs the heck outta' me to read and hear people demean our precious chelonians with nick names. Two of the worst offenders are "boxie" and "sullie."