What are you paying for HOME OWNERS insurance?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You’d still have insurance issues though…
The plan would be to pay in cash. And only keep "regular" home owners insurance.
(And enough money in the bank in case of standard hurricane damage)
In South Carolina, we wouldn't need any additional insurance at all. But South Carolina has some nutty property taxes

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Here's the breakdown by Co in SC Z,

Looks like between a .5 & .85% depending on the county. Manning area is a .62%

I also worry about taxes skyrocketing b/c I don't like paying for failure. SC has been getting lots of Zillow searches and saves from this computer in the past couple years!

Maybe Z and I are going to be neighbors in 10 years? LOL

For reference, in the County I live in Maryland, it's a .98% today....according to google

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

I also worry about taxes skyrocketing b/c I don't like paying for failure. SC has been getting lots of Zillow searches and saves from this computer in the past couple years!

For reference, in the County I live in Maryland, it's a .98% today....according to google
My properties are in YORK and CATAWBA. Both incorporated and unincorporated York county.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's your hurricanes. California will be the next one losing insurance companies. It may have already started there.
Do you realize though, that when you have almost yearly hurricanes and CA has their yearly fires and mud slides, the rest of us pay a higher premium for all the claims being made that has nothing to do with the rest of us, but we pay still pay for it.
My son in law, who is a close neighbor, received a letter from his insurance (CSAA, bundled with his car insurance) that when his policy runs out this year they won't be renewing. Evidently they flew a drone over his house and told him the wood stacked near the house, the wrecked car in the pasture, and they named a few other things. They didn't even give him the option of cleaning up the items.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My son in law, who is a close neighbor, received a letter from his insurance (CSAA, bundled with his car insurance) that when his policy runs out this year they won't be renewing. Evidently they flew a drone over his house and told him the wood stacked near the house, the wrecked car in the pasture, and they named a few other things. They didn't even give him the option of cleaning up the items.
Wow! That's ridiculous. I get their concern, but geez, give the guy a warning and time to clean it up.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It's your hurricanes. California will be the next one losing insurance companies. It may have already started there.
Do you realize though, that when you have almost yearly hurricanes and CA has their yearly fires and mud slides, the rest of us pay a higher premium for all the claims being made that has nothing to do with the rest of us, but we pay still pay for it.
I always feel that floods in the heartland do more damage than hurricanes on average. Tornado’s as well. We do get a bad hurricane now and again, but it’s not every year and typically not the same state each year. I feel Florida gets penalized because we have hurricanes, but what do homeowners pay in these areas susceptible to flooding along rivers? You hear about flood damage every year, but not hurricanes. Just my opinion.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

😭 Cries in 2.2%

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I always feel that floods in the heartland do more damage than hurricanes on average. Tornado’s as well. We do get a bad hurricane now and again, but it’s not every year and typically not the same state each year. I feel Florida gets penalized because we have hurricanes, but what do homeowners pay in these areas susceptible to flooding along rivers? You hear about flood damage every year, but not hurricanes. Just my opinion.
True.
Especially here.
We haven't received a direct hit by any consequential hurricane in years.
The insurance companies have raised rates...sometimes nearly doubling them every year. And now they're just abandoning us.
ANY next storm could make this place a roofless beach front property. And in reality. Thst could happen to ANY Florida resident anywhere near the Atlantic coast or on the Gulf side.
Any time. Any storm. For 6 out of 12 months. Every year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of those flood damages are bad, but not in the way hurricanes are. Don't think there is much of a comparison in my opinion. Specially most of the damages are usually held to basements. Lot smaller areas are affected with flooding, at least where I live, than hurricanes hit.
I don't like the fact that my insurance goes up for people that live in any of those areas. I don't live in a flood area, never have and never lived where tornados are likely to hit. Made one claim in my life and that was a garage fire at my neighbors that spread to half my garage. Yet, I keep getting raised premiums for others living choices.
I think the whole insurance industry is a rip off, but those that live in those higher casualty areas, should pay a lot more than those that don't. Also don't think everyone's insurance should go up for those casualty area choices.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well the whole idea of "Insurance" is "shared risk".
A large group of people will have problems , but not all at once. Here in Cali, State Farm was the first to stop writing new policies and Allstate and Farmers are following suit. Just like Big oil, they are crying poor mouth. They are raking in profits, yet saying they are on the verge of bankruptcy. Fortunately we have an Elected "Insurance Commissioner" that is kinda holding their feet to the fire, telling them to Justify ANY rate hikes. Frequently they can't. So this pull out threat of the market is their response to any lack of justification. I'll call ya, and one up ya!