What am I?

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Somebody dropped this off at the pet store I work at...any ideas? It's not a Red Eared Slider....maybe other type or cooter?

Any help appreciated.

1442779728698.jpg 1442779745714.jpg 1442779757794.jpg

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
There are so many similar types...I've spent two hours comparing and can't seem to convince myself which type.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
He was a pet, but has a shell wound and is overweight/puffy.

The previous owner had him in a 20gal w/o a filter.

She'll go to the vet tomorrow and once better go up for adoption.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
Looks like a painted turtle to me. Would seem logical to me to that someone caught him from the wild and kept it as a pet.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Looks like a Trachemys ornata to me, or a Mexican ornate slider. I've seen my fair share of these in the markets of Pueblo south of Mexico City. The bars extending to the base of the eye and tip of the jaw are broken, which isn't typical of red ears where the bar is unbroken. The plastral pattern has that interesting hazel colored circular pattern which is incredibly vibrant in the hatchlings but tends to fade in adults such as this one. As far as the care goes, treat them like a slider, but don't let them get too cold. The temps are pretty warm in southern Mexico.

T.G.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Looking at pics it's definitely a Mexican Slider. The pics look rough, but she is in good shape, the white spots were scutes that needed to be removed.