what am i doing wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies.

redreatta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
columbus,ohio
i keep going back and forth.....one day he is doing better the next he's not moving...i have to pet his back to make sure he is alive....i built him a better table with more plants, better lighting ,better substraight .heat is on the mark, and uvb lighting...humidity levels are good............some days he barely moves......i get so attached so easy...and now all i can think of is that i am doing something wrong.he only has 2 more shots till his deworming is finished........help....................................help

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...What brand of UVB are you using?
Long fluorescent tube, coil, compact, MVB?
What are in the shots he is getting?
Are you soaking him daily while he is being dewormed?
You may have already answered these in other posts, but my memory isn't great!
Good luck
Patsy

redreatta

5 Year Member
columbus,ohio
could it be the shots i have to give him every 3 days? FORTAZ 50 MG/ML

K9KidsLove said:
Hi...What brand of UVB are you using?
Long fluorescent tube, coil, compact, MVB?
What are in the shots he is getting?
Are you soaking him daily while he is being dewormed?
You may have already answered these in other posts, but my memory isn't great!
Good luck
Patsy

hi patsy, it is a exo terra solar glow 160w lamp, self ballasted mercury vapor bulb,i also use a 100w heat lamp on the other side, i soak him daily

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I don't have any advice but you will surely get some here...best wishes for Iggy's swift and complete recovery!!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Not sure about the Solar Glo. Most recommended MVBs are the T-Rex Active Heat and the MegaRay.
Do you have a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe to take temps? The ones mounted on the side of the tank aren't very accurate & only tells the temp of that wall area. You need to get the basking spot temp and the cool end as well as an ambient temp. The probe thermometer will need to sit for about 45 minutes to get an accurate temp. I prefer the temp gun.
I am thinking the dewormer might be the problem. It often upsets their tummy. Good that you are soaking daily, as the meds dehydrate them.
If he is eating OK (sometimes they don't while on meds) I suggest getting some acidophilus (sp?) to sprinkle on his food to help settle his stomach. Check with your vet to see if s/he has some. Otherwise, you can get it at PetSmart.
Hope he feels better soon.
Patsy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the drug you stated fortz has the following
Gastrointestinal Symptoms, reported in fewer than 2% of patients, were diarrhea (1 in 78), nausea (1 in 156), vomiting (1 in 500), and abdominal pain (1 in 416). The onset of pseudomembranous colitis symptoms may occur during or after treatment
those were human symptons, but they may affect reptiels differently, he may have a upset stomach and may not want to move much.

redreatta

5 Year Member
columbus,ohio
ok.....so i had checked with the vet and she said the shots was for his respitory problem... she had already gave him something for his deworming....also patsy i do have a temp gun and the ones you hang on the side.....

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just checking to see how your baby is doing today>
Patsy

redreatta

5 Year Member
columbus,ohio
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Just checking to see how your baby is doing today>
Patsy

well......today great!!!! he looks like he is running a marathon...lol
i wonder if it is the drugs or if they just go in cycles...one day runnin around..another day just lays around. thank you for asking. i just want to be sure that i am doing the very best for him. am getting ready to buy a house and soon will be setting a yard up for him to play in..i am a landscaper by trade so i will have to do some major research on what i need to make his yard the best for him. any ideas????

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortoises going through medical treatment will not behave normally. Getting shots is stressful, taking meds affects the systems and behaviors, etc. Wait for about a week after the meds are done before getting too worried and ask your vet about what the expected behaviors should be.

I'm happy he's doing better!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Madkins007 said:
Tortoises going through medical treatment will not behave normally. Getting shots is stressful, taking meds affects the systems and behaviors, etc.

With that said, I don't think anyone, tortoise or human, going through medical treatment will behave normally :p

I hope your little one recovers quickly! Medicine sucks! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.