Wetting down inside of hide/cave in outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Hi:

The cave/hide in my outside enclosue for my Russian herd has very dry, powder-like soil. I keep the enclosue outside the hide watered as I have different types of plants, flower, weeds and grasses planted. Would it be okay to wet down the inside of their cave so the soil isn't so dusty or could this cause my tortoises to develop an URI as the cave most likely would stay damp and cold for quite a while. The cave/hide is quite cool inside during the day even though it gets direct sun all day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, :D

Carol
Mother of:
5 adult Russians
1 juvenile Russian
5 four-year-old Califorinia Desert Tortoises

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I always avoid situations that could result in a URI, cold and wet will do it, if you want to water down the hide I would do it in the afternoon, so it dries out before night time sets in.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dmmj said:
I always avoid situations that could result in a URI, cold and wet will do it, if you want to water down the hide I would do it in the afternoon, so it dries out before night time sets in.

This is also what I do. And I make sure the water dish is full every morning and every evening, particularily in the summer here...it gets VERY hot!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Missy said:
Ok now I want to see this cave! LOL :)

I make these for my torts out of flat rocks and mortar, stuffed w/ dried grass/hay.:

5c50538d-badb-4095-b3c5-c1bc9bf02f15

Status
Not open for further replies.