wet cat food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
new york
i finally found a store that sells pro plan cat food...the only problem is they only sell the huge bags of the weight mangment food(following terrys food recommendations) but they also have the weight management food in a can as wet food. would this be the same or work better? or worse? i would order the food online but im not a fan of the online purchasing stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bigwhitemonster said:
i finally found a store that sells pro plan cat food...the only problem is they only sell the huge bags of the weight mangment food(following terrys food recommendations) but they also have the weight management food in a can as wet food. would this be the same or work better? or worse? i would order the food online but im not a fan of the online purchasing stuff.

At my pet store the cat food also comes in a plastic tub...quite a manageable size and better than the big bags. Take another look around and see if you can find it in the plastic tub. It looks kind of like a large pitcher with a handle on the side.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I perfered the dry for so many reasons, no smell easier for them to eat. keeps longer. I never really concidered the canned. I also found it in the plastic tub as Yvonne has said.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
just bought one at Petco today, $20 for the 8lb jug.

bigwhitemonster

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
new york
the closest petco is about 35 minutes from my house i dont get out there that much.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Is the twenty dollar eight pound jug the cheapest and smallest one they sell?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
NicholsNINE said:

I don't know, but it is the only size that I found here. I had to give some to my friend who has a cat.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
terryo said:
NicholsNINE said:

I don't know, but it is the only size that I found here. I had to give some to my friend who has a cat.

Hmm. Yeah I can't find anything other than the 8 lb. jug talking to local stores on the phone.

Is there a cheaper substitute?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
yeah....a worm or a hard boiled egg chopped ...some people feed frozen pinkies..(you know what that is...yuk! new born mice...I can't do that at all) There are lots of substitutes and many people who feed these things on this board. I feed the cat food because I find it so easy just to scoop it out and soak it a bit. When I put Pio outside for the summer I am sure he will find some good bugs to eat. When I give my boxie a worm, he will eat her leftovers.

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
I found the NOW Calcium! Woo! It has a few different things on the label than the picture on turtletary.com, so is this the right stuff?:

Picture8.jpg

However, I couldn't find the pro plan for anything that's not 8 lb and 20 dollars, so since I'm cash strapped and still need to buy a new home I got this:

Picture9.jpg

Here's the link with all the info on the product: http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcdry-wc.shtml

With the pet smart member deal it was only like 5 bucks.

Should I go ahead and feed it to him with the NOW Calcium?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't see why not. If you can't find the other one, and this has the same ingredients, why not...

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Yeah it looks pretty much the same. The crude protein is 30% as opposed to the Pro plan's 46%, but could I just overcome that by feeding a few extra pellets?

(also, just for clarification, you do think that NOW calcium I got is the same just with a few changes the company must have made to the label right?)

Thanks!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The calcium is the same as mine....same bottle and label. Everything looks good to me. I am not an expert so do not have much to contributate as this is my first tortoise. I have had him for only 15 months now. But IMO you are doing all the right things.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
NOW: Yeah, I am pretty sure it is just a label change.

Cat Food: I would not worry about the exact brand as long as the key elements are similar, the brand is still a reliable name brand, it is not too cheap, and your torts eat it. (Cheap pet foods, like cheap processed human foods, use ingredients that are cheaper, less nutrient dense, harder to digest, and has more indigestible waste in it.)

On the other hand, the right stuff is a good value and good product. Keep it dry and cool and it will last some time. Freeze it and it will last almost forever.

Or, find a friend with a fat cat and split it!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
NicholsNINE said:
Yeah it looks pretty much the same. The crude protein is 30% as opposed to the Pro plan's 46%, but could I just overcome that by feeding a few extra pellets?

(also, just for clarification, you do think that NOW calcium I got is the same just with a few changes the company must have made to the label right?)

Thanks!

Taylor the reason I like the 46% is so they don't have to eat more.. OVERFEEDING is right up there with the worst things you can do for your redfoot.

DO NOT OVERFEED your redfoot.. no more than they can eat in 10 minutes. Keep them hungry.

NERD

NicholsNINE

5 Year Member
Hey I am freaking out I gave him his cat food with calcium and even after he finished he kept making a sort of smacking or gulping sound ! Is this ok and normal or is he choking?????

Status
Not open for further replies.