Pro plan cat food vs Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
I have someone on my Facebook that is insisting that pro plan cat food is identical to Mazuri. I haven't compared ingredients but is this pretty accurate or is it bs?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
No way. Mazuri is made entirely out of plants - no animal matter. Cat foods vary from mostly meat with some plants, to 100% meat. Totally different foods, for animals with totally different dietary needs. If you were to give Mazuri Tortoise Diet to a cat, or cat food to a tortoise, the results would be disastrous ... and sadly, those "experiments" have already been performed by careless pet owners.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its BS. I doubt very much that Mazuri Tortoise Diet would interest a cat.

He might be saying that the protein content, vitamins and minerals, etc. are the same from food to food.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have given my redfoots purina pro plan cat food in the past because TURTLETERRY says thats what he does for a protein source evey 10 days or so. I think he has it on his website or caresheets. Thought I would try it out and it was fine. I have been giving them Mazuri lately about every 10 days or so. Im sure the ingredients are very different though

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
That's what I thought. He told me to stay clear of Mazuri because it's not good for tortoises. He even through out the turtletary care sheet at me. Lol. Im not going to discredit Terry's care sheet because he has grade A torts. Last year when I talked to Terry himself over the phone (numerous times) he had no problem with the diet I was giving my torts. Go figure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It took some searching, but I finally found a list of Pro Plan's ingredients:

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, dried egg product, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal, soy protein isolate, animal liver flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, phosphoric acid, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

No way in the world does this match the list of ingredients in Mazuri Tortoise Diet:

Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Wheat Middlings, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholecalciferol, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Nicotinic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Natural Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), Ferrous Carbonate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

There's nothing wrong with using the Purina Pro Plan dry cat food as your animal protein source for the redfooted tortoises and box turtles.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RonHays said:
That's what I thought. He told me to stay clear of Mazuri because it's not good for tortoises. He even through out the turtletary care sheet at me. Lol. Im not going to discredit Terry's care sheet because he has grade A torts. Last year when I talked to Terry himself over the phone (numerous times) he had no problem with the diet I was giving my torts. Go figure.

Ya if what you are doing is working stick with it. I really try to change things up a bit. I have actually started feeding mine less and less often to force them to go on a hunt for food. The end up eating grass and pull hibiscus branches down and eat the leaves. I throw banana peels out in the grass and different things like that so they will go on the hunt

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Noting wrong with that bigred. My torts get Mazuri twice a week and the rest of the time they graze inside their enclosures. Every once in a while I'll throw in some turnip greens (they love those) and I'm growing food plots in their enclosures also.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I started both my Cherry Head hatchlings, until they were over a year old, on the pro plan cat food. It was their first protein.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Ok now I'm as confused as a cow on AstroTurf. Which is better? Mazuri or pro plan? Is feeding Mazuri twice a week a bad thing? Or should I just buy the pro plan and feed it to them every other week? :)

Next question... Is the pro plan good for a sulcata hatchling or should i stick with Mazuri for him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are two totally different things. Pro plan is great as a protein source for chelonians that need this, like your redfoots, but Mazuri is good for all of them, like your sulcata.

Btw, Pro Plan is an excellent dog food too. My dogs have been on it for their whole lives.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Tom said:
They are two totally different things. Pro plan is great as a protein source for chelonians that need this, like your redfoots, but Mazuri is good for all of them, like your sulcata.

Btw, Pro Plan is an excellent dog food too. My dogs have been on it for their whole lives.

Ok. Would it be wise to stay on the Mazuri schedule and give them some of the pro plan once every two weeks? Or is the Mazuri enough?

And btw, I have 3 cats that would not approve of me giving the torts gourmet cat food. Lol. Especially since they get fed 9 lives.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ron:

Its two totally different kinds of protein. The Pro Plan is to give your tortoise and turtles that require a bit of animal protein in their diets, and the Mazuri Tortoise Diet can be given to all tortoises, including the above mentioned tortoises.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mazuri has plenty of meat protein in it for tortoises. Red-footeds and some other forest/omnivorous torts eat meat in the wild because the local diets are short in proteins and other nutrients that herbivorous torts get more easily in the plants.

ALL tortoises need about the same overall nutrients, but the forest/omnivores are better designed to handle the fats, etc. in meats.

To sort of put Pro-Plan and Mazuri in human prepared food terms, Pro-plan would be something like canned tuna, and Mazuri would be a vegetable dish with a little meat in it.

I don't have strong opinions against Mazuri, but I find I have dropped it most of the way off my diet and focus on fresher foods.

Also- understand that there is nothing all that special about Pro-Plan. It met Terry/NERD's needs and is a bit lower in fats, etc. than some other offerings, but most other people who use packaged pet foods as a meat supplement seem to get good results from other products. Since the kibble is such a small part of the diet, it is not massively important what kind you get as long as it is decent stuff. I mean- pro Plan is basically chicken parts and a bunch of generic 'cereal ingredients'- why not just toss in some chicken and skip the rest of the stuff?

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Ok I'm starting to get a better picture now. Doesn't sound like I could go wrong either way. Mark it sounds like the redfoots would benefit more from the pro plan for the animal protein. Sulcatas not so much. Thanks for the info.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
When I said people have had disastrous results giving cat food to their turtles, what I meant was people who give their turtles only cat food, or those who give them food that contains beef. Turtles that eat a lot of fatty, beef-containing cat or dog food and little else develop metabolic bone disease (MBD), including deformed shells, misshapen faces and limbs, etc. This is because chelonians are not adapted to this sort of diet. Even very carnivorous turtles, like snappers, eat mostly fish, not beef, so although they may get a lot of oil in their diet, they don't get much fat. In the wild, box turtles and redfoot tortoises may hunt live invertebrates or scavenge fish, bird, rodent, or deer carcasses, but none of these is as fatty as cattle. In captivity, feeding boxies and redfoots the occasional snail, chicken, or venison is fine, but not beef. I can see by the ingredients list above that Purina Pro Plan contains no beef, only chicken, egg, and fish, so that's good.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just remember that MOST tortoises, even the omnivores, don't need much protein- only about 10-15% of the total diet, and they can get most of that from the plants. (Hinge-backs, most terrestrial turtles, and a couple others are exceptions in that they can handle a lot more meat than that).

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused. I understand the different type of protein between Pro Plan and Mazuri. I'm confused about should I or shouldn't I???

I raised my Red Foot from hatchling on fresh greens, veggies, a spoonful of cat food couple times a week (I was smart enough to intuit choosing poultry rather than beef) and the occasional fruit. 3 years later, judging by her smooth shell, devoid of pyramiding, bright eyes, huge appetite and high activity level, I'm thinking I did a pretty good job...

Last month I bought Zoo-Med's Forest Tortoise food (seduced by her picture on the label) and Mazuri. She loves both mixed together and gobbles the whole thing. Now, both labels state that these commercial foods can be fed exclusively. Is that true? I already went against my instincts by purchasing these as I have a problem with buying things/food that I can make myself and I avoid processed food for my own family.

Now, she snubs her greens... What have I done???

Suddenly insecure mom here :-/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can use both, Nathalie. Your redfooted tortoise needs the occasional meal of animal protein (Pro Plan Cat Food), plus the bulk/fiber and vegetable protein of the Mazuri Tortoise Diet. You don't have to feed both every day, but once or twice a week on different days would not harm your tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.