Wet And Dry Coco Coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
I was wondering i'm switching the bedding over to coco coir from the pellets tonight should i keep an area of the coco coir dry for my sully?
Say 20% of his enclosure dry the rest wet?

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
its more about the humidity then just plain old wetness. you should have humidity at up to 80 percent. that seems to be the general rule. With a wet atmosphere you have to make sure your temps are warmer too. cold and damp spells infection. coco will help hold the wetness. I personally spray my enclosure 5 times a day. and soak them for 30 minutes a day. I'm sure more people will weigh in on this. Tom is doing a lot of experimenting with wetness right now. listen to what he has to say.

how old is your sulcata? is your enclosure open, closed, or aquarium?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am raising a leopard. Pretty much the same as a sully. Get the humidity to 80% temps, not lower then 80, with basking 95-100. Then give him two hides. One dry, one humid. I did this, except I used two tote boxes. One was very humid, the other not so much and dry. He had a choice. He did stay in the humid box most of the time. Ventured to the dryer box to eat, as I fed him in the dry box and to graze a little, but mostly in the humid box. So yes, you can get him a dry area, but the majority should be very humid. If you do give him the choice and he does choose the dry part more then the humid, then that's when I would take the dry away. That's just what I did, but, I still followed the temps and humidity of Toms threads, that are below in this post. Please read them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to wet it all and then pack it down flat with my hand so its not as messy.

Make sure your ambient temp is up near 80 degrees day AND night with humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.