Western Hermann’s heating

MakJ

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello all,

I just received my western Hermann’s hatchling this week and am still getting used caring for him. This is my first reptile so I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for humidity and heat. I have a 50w basking light set up on the basking area about 12 in from the substrate. I also have a 10.0 uvb light as well. That area has been hovering from 95-100 degrees. Today I noticed it’s a little bit over 100 and I took the temp of my basking rock and it is about 105. I know hatchlings shouldn’t handle that much heat yet but I’m assuming since the basking rock is set up just below the light and is absorbing the heat all day that it might be why it’s so warm?

My tortoise has been acting normally however, eating and sleeping typically. I’ve seen him poop nearly every single day since I’ve had him and it’s a normal consistency. Yesterday, however he began burrowing a lot inside his hide more than usual. He hadn’t gone into that hide yet so I was thinking maybe he was just starting to get used to the enclosure.

The opposite cool side hovers around 75-80 degrees during the day, so I am assuming he can thermoregulate if he needs to. But he has just been hanging out under the basking light today!

Maybe I’m just a worried first time tortoise mom but I would love some input on if that temperature is okay and if that seems like typical behavior for a hatchling.

Thanks!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. An expert will be able to help you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

I just received my western Hermann’s hatchling this week and am still getting used caring for him. This is my first reptile so I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for humidity and heat. I have a 50w basking light set up on the basking area about 12 in from the substrate. I also have a 10.0 uvb light as well. That area has been hovering from 95-100 degrees. Today I noticed it’s a little bit over 100 and I took the temp of my basking rock and it is about 105. I know hatchlings shouldn’t handle that much heat yet but I’m assuming since the basking rock is set up just below the light and is absorbing the heat all day that it might be why it’s so warm?

My tortoise has been acting normally however, eating and sleeping typically. I’ve seen him poop nearly every single day since I’ve had him and it’s a normal consistency. Yesterday, however he began burrowing a lot inside his hide more than usual. He hadn’t gone into that hide yet so I was thinking maybe he was just starting to get used to the enclosure.

The opposite cool side hovers around 75-80 degrees during the day, so I am assuming he can thermoregulate if he needs to. But he has just been hanging out under the basking light today!

Maybe I’m just a worried first time tortoise mom but I would love some input on if that temperature is okay and if that seems like typical behavior for a hatchling.

Thanks!
What type of 50 watt bulb? It needs to be a flood bulb, and it sounds like you might need to raise it up a little higher.

What type of 10.0 bulb? The cfl type will sometimes burn their eyes and could cause them to hide a lot. The 10.0 T8 tubes are not effective. The ZooMed T5 HO tubes make good UV though.

Have you seen this yet? Look for the heating and lighting breakdown and the temperate species care sheet near the bottom.