Are these safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
When browsing lights yesterday I came across these now I know the coil UVB bulbs are no-nos because they blind the tortoises. But are compact fluorescent UVB bulbs ok? They are shaped similar to this

View attachment 17671

And if so do those go into the hood fixtures or deep dome fixtures?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Personally, I would not recommend trying to raise baby tortoises under these lights, as they do not provide enough UVB throughout the entire cage for the babies to do well. Standard tube fluorescents are best if you are seeking a bulb that only emits UVB, and no additional heat.

The compact fluorescent bulbs can be used to illuminate cool sides of the cage if you are using an extremely large cage, but generally in that capacity you don't need anything higher than a 2.0.

-Jen

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
LLLReptile said:
Personally, I would not recommend trying to raise baby tortoises under these lights, as they do not provide enough UVB throughout the entire cage for the babies to do well. Standard tube fluorescents are best if you are seeking a bulb that only emits UVB, and no additional heat.

The compact fluorescent bulbs can be used to illuminate cool sides of the cage if you are using an extremely large cage, but generally in that capacity you don't need anything higher than a 2.0.

-Jen

Ok that's what I've got but the bulb didn't work when I got home. MoonPie isn't a hatchling though she is about a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.