Well watcha think?

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hey Guys!

I just purchased my first Tortoise(Russian) 3 days ago. After buying all the crap the petstore sold me I quickly learned it was not the right setup. Ive built a 4x4 enclosure, I know a 4x8 is recommended but the boards wouldn't fit in my car, ill expand later.

You will see two lamps - the one on the left is a 125 watt MVB and the right is a ceramic to help with ambient when needed. I live in Dallas, TX so the weather will be heating up soon. My next project will be an outdoor enclosure.

Let me know what you think

Thanks!
Scott

Front.JPG LeftSide.JPG Raw.JPG Top.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
Thanks - Ill definitely keep an eye on her over the weekend for any escape attempts. I've capped the corners off and the sides are about 9 inches tall from the substrate. Worst case scenario ill add a trim around the inside boarder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like it Scott, however, I think you may need more than one light for heat. It's rather open and the heat from your light will go straight up and out

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It looks good. Congrats! What about your tort?

And a warm welcome to the forum!

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
Thanks Yvonne I'll figure out a way to setup florencent tube.

Gillian she is doing great!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like the foot print. It's a decent size.

Your thermometers will help you figure out the temps and like yvonne suggested, where to add the extra heat.

What I see the need for is cover. Lots of plants to hide in and obstacles to navigate around. The "empty cardboard box" look will cause your tortoise to want out, even with it being 4x4. I'd want out too ;) but no worries, you're just getting started! :D :tort: :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You just won my vote for best new tortoise keeper of the month.

How fantastic that you've already figured out how bad the typical pet store advice is! Even better that you already fixed the problem!

Now tell me that you are feeding weeds and leaves and not a lot of grocery store foods, and you might win new keeper of the YEAR! :D

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
@Tom Haha Thanks! Honestly it was hours of reading your post as well as many of @Yvonne G (plus others) then thinking oh crap, lets get this fixed.

Ive actually walked out to my back yard and collected 2 handfuls of dandelions and washed them off. I have my seed mix from Tortoise supply on its way and will have my outdoor enclosure completed next weekend. I'm blessed enough to have the funds to care of him properly and to provide what he needs quickly. Really looking forward to learning as much as possible!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Haha Thanks! Honestly it was hours of reading your post as well as many of @Yvonne G (plus others) then thinking oh crap, lets get this fixed.

Ive actually walked out to my back yard and collected 2 handfuls of dandelions and washed them off. I have my seed mix from Tortoise supply on its way and will have my outdoor enclosure completed next weekend. I'm blessed enough to have the funds to care of him properly and to provide what he needs quickly. Really looking forward to learning as much as possible!

I don't know man…

I'm not sure your username fits with posts like these… :D

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
Yvonne meant a heat emitting light, a tube doesn't give off heat! Because the enclosure is so open, it will not retain any heat, and since heat rises, the heat from your 2 bulbs will go up more than down into your enclosure.