Well. My sulcata has an eye infection

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I took my 3 yo sully "Tiny" to vet today. Seems like overnight he got conjunctivitis. observe him everyday, and he was fine yesterday.

I cleaned out and sterilized his outside hide box to help. He's been so healthy this was a shock.

The vet I took him to was a disappointment. He knew nothing about tortoises. Monday I'm searching for a new one.

I think I'll get a fecal sample checked to make sure his immune system isn't compromised by an over population of those buggers.

It is really difficult to get the salve on his eyes. He doesn't like it at all !

He may need an antibiotic injection to help him fight this off - don't know yet. Hope for the best :) I'll keep you posted.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear that. Any idea how? Don't know if your near Aldabramans vet, but I would pm Greg and see.

Alaskamike

South Florida
His vet is 250 miles from me. I asked the vet for an opthomic ointment / antibacterial . I used that. Then he charged me for an exam and office visit like he was diagnosing something I already knew. Kinda pissed me off.

But it's difficult to get it on his eyes.

I know sometimes if a torts immune system is weak - from another infection like upper RI, or parasite invasion they are more susceptible to eye infection. Dirty environments can contribute.

So I'm have a stool sample checked Monday. I cleaned his outside hide., and will see if a better vet can give me a better diagnosis / fecal check / maybe an IM antibiotic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn, well good luck. That's my biggest fear, is if I ever have to take one to a vet. The closet one to me I already know has bad info on their website, so don't really want to ever have to call them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep us posted Mike. Its not too common to see health issue with well cared for sulcatas, so I'd like to learn anything I can from your experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be just the third eye lid swelling. Can we see a picture? This is caused by some sort of stressor, and it's not an infection. Usually a soothing eye ointment helps it go down.

Helpful hint. Have someone be in front of the tortoise waving a red or yellow flower slowly and just out of reach, while you approach from behind keeping your hand and the tube of med low over the top of the carapace. Once he's looking and interested in the flower, quickly reach out and dab it on his eye. It's ok if it only gets on the eyelid.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I took my 3 yo sully "Tiny" to vet today. Seems like overnight he got conjunctivitis. observe him everyday, and he was fine yesterday.

I cleaned out and sterilized his outside hide box to help. He's been so healthy this was a shock.

The vet I took him to was a disappointment. He knew nothing about tortoises. Monday I'm searching for a new one.

I think I'll get a fecal sample checked to make sure his immune system isn't compromised by an over population of those buggers.

It is really difficult to get the salve on his eyes. He doesn't like it at all !

He may need an antibiotic injection to help him fight this off - don't know yet. Hope for the best :) I'll keep you posted.

I hate to hear that. Tiny is one of my favorites on the forum!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny
Eye problems. My research indicates this could be due to a host of issues. It could be a simple localized bacterial infection of the eyelid from feces rubbed into eye , or a more serious indication of an autoimmune suppression due to another problem.
Herpes virus can lay dormant a long time in torts and surface when stress is induced for a number of reasons. An infestation of parasites can overwhelm the torts immune system making them susceptible to eye issues like this. If it is a systemic problem treatment with only a local topical antibiotic will not generally clear it up - or it will clear up and come back. Neither is good

Systemic infection is often treated with IM injection of antibiotic.
Injectable intramuscular every 72 hrs.
Fortaz. Based on weight
Antibiotic. Or Ceftazadime meloxicam

Dewormed also is recommended if fecal sample shows heavy infestation.

Could be also be a micro plasma spp
Generalized auto immun suppression
Panacur. Fenbendazole. Is recommended for worms.
Cream. Kg body wt x 0.25 = cc per dose
Compounded liquid. 0.3-0.4 cc/ lb body weight. Or.
0.66-0.88 cc/ kg body weight

Please do NOT take anything I wrote here as " fact"

Do your own research and use a vet. I'm just sharing what I researched , not recommending anything :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434308094.289272.jpg

This is worse one - left eye

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you do research on swelling of the nictitating membrane? As I said above, that is sometimes linked to a stressor. From the picture it looks like the nictitating membrane to me.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Did you do research on swelling of the nictitating membrane? As I said above, that is sometimes linked to a stressor. From the picture it looks like the nictitating membrane to me.
I'll look that up. You could be right , although his routine has not changed
But the stressors could be another internal problem.

Update : 24 hrs treatment and right eye looks normal , he can see fine out of it. Left eye shows no improvement ( to me anyway ).

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tiny today
I did my research on nictitating membrane - the third lid reptile and some birds have. Upon close examination it does appear to be an inflammation of this membrane. There really is nothing lately that would stress him out except maybe me digging up his surround for a new underground hide.

Vitamin A deficiency can also cause this. Though he gets a very varied diet I may get some vitamin paste to add to his greens. Carrots too.

It is possible he got some dirt or feces in his eye trapped under the lid but this is unlikely. We did have a huge amount of rain in one day right after I finished his underground hide and when he crawled down in there to investigate it's possible the hide was full of water , but they get in mud and dirty water in nature and it's unlikely this was a cause. He ate very well and was active. Not acting sick at all - it's just his left eye swollen now. Right one looks almost completely normal.

Left eye [
ATTACH=full]134441[/ATTACH]

Right eye
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434375100.652502.jpg

I still suspect a bacterial infection. Will continue to treat with the topical cream. And have a fecal check done soon - got him out waiting to collect a sample :)

Many of the possible pathogens that cause ocular or periocular disease can be latent or sub clinical infections to become clinical when the animal is immunosuppressed by either non- ideal environment conditions or concurrent disease. Bad UV lights have been known to prompt eye problems ( I don't use them )

I can see no problems in environment. But weird things do happen. I sincerely hope it is a momentary blip and will clear up with time and treatment. Not a deeper issue with immune suppression.

If it's a worm infestation that's simple to correct. Other viral infections - not so easy.

New vet today for fecal check - I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure others have encountered this , and I want to pass on whatever I can learn.

This is why I frequently discourage tort ownership if the expense of buying one is a problem. That's the cheapest part.

Got Tiny as a rescue - free - but his environment and now some medical care is expensive. Lol.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434375068.437779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434375068.437779.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 20

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Looks like a swollen third eyelid to me. Peter had an eye infection last year. I was told by the vet that one sided problems are way more likely to be due to scratches or other irritants. Problem with the liver or whatnot mostly show up in both eyes.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Looks like a swollen third eyelid to me. Peter had an eye infection last year. I was told by the vet that one sided problems are way more likely to be due to scratches or other irritants. Problem with the liver or whatnot mostly show up in both eyes.
Thanks. You're probably right. But he's getting the anti bacterial ointment in both eyes to be thorough.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Day 4 of antibiotic ophthalmic cream

I can see much more of his eye. Much less swollen.

Took fecal sample in for parasite load test.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434573558.059144.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Got word back from vet. No worm problems for either Tiny. Or my other tort - CupCake.

Eye looks even better today.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Have been following this thread closely.
Glad the eye's getting better.
And lots of other interesting information too.
Hope to see further recovery tomorrow.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Update on Tiny's eye.
Membrane still not fully retracted. The vet feels like this will take care of itself over time no infection present. He said unless it swells up again the ointment is no longer necessary.

Still do not know for sure the cause. But crisis ( at least my feeling it was a crisis. Lol ) is over