Tortoise eye infection

Olivia_

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
My two year old russian tortoise recently came out of hibernation. After he woke up I noticed after a few days his eyes were not opening. I brought him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a respiratory infection and an eye infection. He was given 4 naxcel injections over a course of 4 weeks, a daily soak in reptoboost and a course of eye drops. The respiratory infection has since cleared and he is back to eating and being energetic. However his eyes had still not opened. The vet prescribed him an eye ointment which I have been applying twice daily and 0.1 on a syringe of powdox daily. He has been on this medication for two weeks and there is still no improvement. I’m planning on taking him back to vet this week but I thought i’d see if anyone on here has any advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Normally I would suggest the carrot baby food soaks for swollen shut eyes, but that's usually a vitamin A deficiency. But you might try it. It can't hurt.

Using a container with tall sides (so he can't climb out) and a small footprint mix strained carrot baby food 50%/50% with warm water. Leave him soaking in it for 45 minutes to an hour. You can place the soaking tortoise, container and all, back into the enclosure NEXT to where the light shines on the floor of the enclosure to keep it warm. If you do this every day the eyes should be open at the end of the third soak.