Well I went and done it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeys_rose

5 Year Member
I am a official tortoise owner :D My husband bought me one for my birthday!!!

I have been doing loads of reading on the internet and books and was torn between a Russian and a Red Footed. I decided to go with the red footed as it is very humid here where I live and thought that Red footed Torts would work best for me.

I believe I have a little female, she eats like a little horse and is really active.
I have a multi spectrum heat source light at one end of her house which is a 66 gallon tote, at the cool end I have a night light. I keep it between 50 - 80% humidity. She has a 2in base of cypress bedding that I keep moist to dry. She has a cuttle bone in her pen that she can eat whenever she wants.

I feed her 1x a day of Spring mix lettuce with a different veg that I will alternate each feeding. She has at all times a pelleted food and of course water. I feed fruit mixture 2x a week, she loves bananas at this time and I think tomatoes. I have Strawberries/Kiwi/Tomatoes/Apples/Bananas.

What other fruit do they like?

She gets a warm water soak 1x every 3rd day for 10-15 min

I hope that I am doing it all right. I just love her to bits and don't want anything but the best for her.

I was wanting to know if I can get a brand new clay saucer to use as her water dish?
Is a new Clay pot 6 inch a good house?
Do I need to sprinkle Rep-Cal on her food? If so how often?
Do I give her animal protein? Would earth worms be all right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Animal protein is good for them, mine love snails and slugs. as for fruit mine also love mango and berries ( black blue straw)

HtVic

5 Year Member
somebody recommended me to use clay saucer as water dish

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
mickeys_rose said:
I am a official tortoise owner :D My husband bought me one for my birthday!!!

I have been doing loads of reading on the internet and books and was torn between a Russian and a Red Footed. I decided to go with the red footed as it is very humid here where I live and thought that Red footed Torts would work best for me.

I believe I have a little female, she eats like a little horse and is really active.
I have a multi spectrum heat source light at one end of her house which is a 66 gallon tote, at the cool end I have a night light. I keep it between 50 - 80% humidity. She has a 2in base of cypress bedding that I keep moist to dry. She has a cuttle bone in her pen that she can eat whenever she wants.

I feed her 1x a day of Spring mix lettuce with a different veg that I will alternate each feeding. She has at all times a pelleted food and of course water. I feed fruit mixture 2x a week, she loves bananas at this time and I think tomatoes. I have Strawberries/Kiwi/Tomatoes/Apples/Bananas.

What other fruit do they like?

She gets a warm water soak 1x every 3rd day for 10-15 min

I hope that I am doing it all right. I just love her to bits and don't want anything but the best for her.

I was wanting to know if I can get a brand new clay saucer to use as her water dish?
Is a new Clay pot 6 inch a good house?
Do I need to sprinkle Rep-Cal on her food? If so how often?
Do I give her animal protein? Would earth worms be all right?

They love most fruit- grapes, blueberries, blackberries and also my little redfoots love red hibiscus flowers you should post a pic of your little tort

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY CONGRATS:D You have now entered the crazy tortoise people world. Once your in, you never get out:p A clay saucer is great for a water dish.

mickeys_rose

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am off tomorrow to get a clay saucer for her water dish and a clay pot.

I am so glad to know that I am doing things right. :D

I am also wanting another one LOL

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Congrats! You sure are one luck lady! I can't wait to see your birthday present.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mickeys_rose said:
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am off tomorrow to get a clay saucer for her water dish and a clay pot.

I am so glad to know that I am doing things right. :D

I am also wanting another one LOL

I myself like the clay saucers for feeding out of, but would rather have them glazed when used for water. Otherwise, the water leaches out the porous clay saucer. :cool: But that's just me.

Relax a bit, your doing great! Sounds like you have a wonderful husband and had a birthday that won't be forgotten. :) As for the wanting another one, some of us have lots of tortoises and are always still suffering from the "I want another one" disease. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.