Weird question (Dwarfism?)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Just to share:
Bullying isn't only about food. Two torts can be housed together and both eat fine but the one can still be under constant stress and intimidation.

OP, that may have nothing to do with your aquatic turtles but I still wanted to add that for any readers following along.

At least your main question has been answered. You aren't dealing with dwarfism.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
So should I be worried about his lack of growth or no?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's my personal conviction to never keep any turtle or tortoise in pairs. My Russians, Leopards and aquatic turtles...no pairs.
So, if this were ME I'd add a third turtle. And then as long as they were all eating, swimming around, basking and pooping then I would not worry about the size differences.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What haven't you heard? I don't understand what you are referring to.

I gave you my thoughts and hopefully other keepers will chime in and give you theirs.

Good luck with your turtles.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I'd agree that making a trio is better than a pair and a trio of two females and one male is best (though hard to do with babies).

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It varies from species to species as well. There are some species that do best alone. I have 5 Geoemyda in 5 separate enclosures, while my 5 Pyxis all live together in harmony.

I think any time we keep animals together in such tight quarters, there is always a risk. Some animals may be more tolerant of roommates, but as "Team Gomberg" stated, stress may be a silent killer, not only reserved for mating and feeding times for example.

If you have ever observed animals n the wild, then go home to observe your whatever gallon aquarium, then you know what I mean. It's just something we have to keep in mind when caring for our animals and designing housing for them. And if an animal isn't growing, there's a chance that special attention/monitoring and perhaps separation will be necessary.