weird nocturnal behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseguy

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever had their sulcata suddenly come out at night (it's warm here in Florida, 75 degrees on Dec. 23, 9 pm), and he suddenly started attacking the cement bench that has swans imprinted on either side... kinda looks like a tortoise shell, and he's biting it and banging against it, then banged on our sliding glass door til I let him in, he ran around the room looked at me a couple times, then walked back out... is this mating behavior? he has NEVER come out of the hole under the house at night for ANY reason. I fed him a bunch of food all day, romaine, collard greens, banana, commercial dry food, plus he grazed on grass most of the day, etc, and he was RUNNING around the backyard, so I turned on the light to observe him... just soooo weird. Other than the running around and banging into things, he appears very healthy and recognizes me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Did you take a flashlight and take a peek see in his burrow/hide to make sure something is not annoying him? Otherwise....how silly is that :p

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OH yes! check his burrow for Rats! these pest are powerful enemies of large torts

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would stow him somewhere and flood the burrow if you are unable to see all of it. There is a shelf in the shared burrow of my animals. Things tend to sit there if they can. Flooding is the quickest and easiest way for me to make sure.

I am unsure of how viable this practice would be for you, though, if the burrow goes under your house. It is often not a good idea to allow water to collect in such a situation.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock only goes nocternal when the summer heat hits 105+ during the day and drops to 85+ during the evening/night.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I have never had my Sulcata suddenly come out at night and suddenly start attacking the cement bench that has swans imprinted on either side.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
My sulcata comes our all times of the night, but then again he stays with me and my boyfriend in our room, and we are up most of the night, so that could also explain it, but even when he was out in the living room, rarely would he ever sleep all the way through the night. He did MOST of his sleeping at night though, but there would be an hour or more that he would spend awake just doing his normal things.

Status
Not open for further replies.