Weird behavior

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
So my sully is usually pretty calm , cool & collected . However I took the background out of his habitat today because it seemed the plastic was getting too hot an was starting to almost melt right by where I have his heat lamp . Now , he won't stop running around . He's doing laps around the tank , walking through his water bowl and getting covered in the substrate . Is this normal behavior ? The temps and humidity are just right in the tank , and I just fed him a decent amount . So I don't think he's uncomfortable . Thanks !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises don't like change. The removal of the back ground is probably making him feel exposed and vulnerable.

Maybe you could get some of that plastic sheet style backgrounds for aquariums and tape it to the back on the outside.

Seems odd that your heat lamp would be so close to the back ground or your light would be so hot. What size tank and what sort of bulb?

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Tortoises don't like change. The removal of the back ground is probably making him feel exposed and vulnerable.

Maybe you could get some of that plastic sheet style backgrounds for aquariums and tape it to the back on the outside.

Seems odd that your heat lamp would be so close to the back ground or your light would be so hot. What size tank and what sort of bulb?

It's only a small part of the background that's right by the lamp , I have 100w powersun bulb in a tank that's probably 30g just to start in . He's only a few months old so it's plenty big for him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He will most likely settle down in time, but you could probably make him more comfortable if you put up some sort of visual barrier. You can cut up a brown bag and tape it up along the outside back and sides. Cardboard will work too.

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Tom said:
He will most likely settle down in time, but you could probably make him more comfortable if you put up some sort of visual barrier. You can cut up a brown bag and tape it up along the outside back and sides. Cardboard will work too.

Thanks tom he seems much better now !