New Growth Demonstration

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Here is an example of new growth. My tortoise is Sulcata and the new growth comes in very dark, almost black. Other types of tortoises such as Russians usually have very pale growth lines.

This is my tortoise shortly after I got him. You can Just see the new lines forming between the scutes. The red arrows are to help you see them.
Clunker_edit1.jpg
Now these lines will thicken. Here is another photo taken after a few days. I have outlined one of the scutes in red, you will see why.
Clunker2_edit1.jpg
Once the new growth has come in fully it will then develop future new growth from the center of this one.
the red line is the growth you seen developing in the previous photos, even newer growth is demonstrated be the black line.
clunker3_edit1.jpg

So I hope my demonstration will help others to spot new growth on their torts! A special thanks to "Paint"
Can you see new growth?
clunker4.jpg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
This is what new growth looks like on the Plastron (also a Sully) . The growth lines show up as red , it is interesting because you can see if they are growing longer or wider by the red lines !

Plastron 3.jpg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I haven't seen Charlie's plastron in years!

Maybe this will help ?
m0168.gif

s-l400.jpg

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Very helpful thread! I haven't seen any time lapse videos of them growing anywhere so I'm not sure how to look for growth! Thanks!