weird dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
anyone else have a dog that absolutely hates being petted? Mine just takes it with an unhappy look on his face, but there are obviously so many better things to be doing than receiving affection... like herding the other dog or ripping the squeaker out of the new toy.

He's honestly the first dog I've ever had that hates it so much, makes me feel like a bad doggy mom :p

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
futureleopardtortoise said:
anyone else have a dog that absolutely hates being petted? Mine just takes it with an unhappy look on his face, but there are obviously so many better things to be doing than receiving affection... like herding the other dog or ripping the squeaker out of the new toy.

He's honestly the first dog I've ever had that hates it so much, makes me feel like a bad doggy mom :p

There are many ways to show affection, other than petting. Verbal praise, treats, etc.
Patricia McConnel did an interesting bit years ago about teaching cats that don't already to like petting. She talked about petting just briefly, then stopping. The theory is that if you remove the stimulus before it becomes irritating, the length of time they can tolerate it becomes longer and they can discover that petting is a good thing.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have a lab that hates being pet too. I noticed it started at the shelter when she was housed with a puppy her own age 6mo. and she was snapping at him. Well, I have had her 12 yrs and she still hates puppy's and being pet. I talked to my vet and he thought maybe she was missing the "motherly instincts."

She will come up to us when she's ready for some pets but it's rare. She has always kept to herself and we have excepted it. Don't feel bad it's just who your dogs is.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Awww - you're not a bad doggy mom! Some dogs just have very sensitive skin. What breed is he?

I use to have a dog who would howl at ambulences. I hear this is very common, but still very funny to watch.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, I have one like that. And it's really not so unusual. Us humans love hugs and touching. So we assume dogs do as well. But that's not the case. Particularly if you have a timid and/or submissive dog....a dog like that will find it intimidating. My dog is 11 years old and she is very outgoing. She loves people and wants to meet people all the time. But she does not really want them petting her. In fact, she will try to cover them in kisses everytime they try all the while backing away from their pets. She would rather give affection than receive it as it is less intimidating to her. I've always known she was like this and I'm fine with it. She does however enjoy butt and chest scratches, which most dogs do like better. Have you tried that? Don't pet your dog on the top of the head. That is not how dogs like to be touched. It always amazes me how many people think that is the way to pet a dog. I have a shih tzu (companion dog) who loves to be hugged and fussed over so I get my fill of touching from him. Every dog is an individual just as people are.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I don't think he finds it intimidating so much as just annoying. He's a border collie with some pretty obnoxious OCD, and he has an attention span of about five seconds.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Either way, dogs do not enjoy touching, hugging, etc. likes humans do. Whatever the reason may be, they just don't. They learn to tolerate it, and the companion (toy) breeds will actually enjoy it. But the rest? Not so much. Love him for who he is. Personally, I find touching and hugging annoying as well....lol.

Also, how old is he? He may get better about it with age. And yes, a border collie has too much to do to be bothered I think.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! I've had many dogs through the years...mostly rescues...and I never had one that didn't love to be petted and hugged. My Bull Terrier (70 lbs) used to sit on my lap while I watched TV, and if I stopped petting him, he tapped me with his paw. All mine would always come over to where I was and waited to get petted or hugged. And, of course the Yorkie and Chihuahua's fight to all sit on my lap now. A few dogs who were Puppy Mill rescues, took a while to warm up and didn't want to be touched, but after a few months of feeling secure, they loved to be held and petted.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
terry, I think it happens more often with the working breeds. Chi's and yorkies, my shih tzu, etc. live for hugging and petting. Larger dogs, working dogs, not so much.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My Aussie loves being petted, having her face held, being kissed, eye contact, smiles, praise, treats, working on obedience. Oh, and having her tennis ball throw. Yeah, now that's a winner!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
See, I have had several border collies, and I guess none of them have been quite this high drive, but they've all been pretty typical Borders, and he's the ONLY one that acts this way. Now, I agree with Edna, once a tennis ball or a frisbee comes out, forget about the love, throw the darn thing, but when there aren't toys involved they are cuddle bugs.

He will occasionally come around for belly rubs, but that's usually only when he thinks he's either A) in trouble or B) going to get something out of it :p

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Obviously it's not going to be each and every dog. But the dog who does not enjoy a lot of touching is not a "weird dog". He is actually more "normal" than our dogs that love to cuddle. In canine language, a hand (paw) across the shoulders or body is definetely NOT a friendly gesture. So instinctively, a dog will not be comfortable with hugging. A hand on top of the head is not a friendly gesture either. I know everyone is saying...."well, MY dog likes it". Well, thats all well and good. What I'm trying to say is that this dog is not "weird". It is canine instinct. Ever hear of whale eye in the dog? I bet a lot of dogs do it while being hugged and the people don't even realize it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
lisa127 said:
Obviously it's not going to be each and every dog. But the dog who does not enjoy a lot of touching is not a "weird dog". He is actually more "normal" than our dogs that love to cuddle. In canine language, a hand (paw) across the shoulders or body is definetely NOT a friendly gesture. So instinctively, a dog will not be comfortable with hugging. A hand on top of the head is not a friendly gesture either. I know everyone is saying...."well, MY dog likes it". Well, thats all well and good. What I'm trying to say is that this dog is not "weird". It is canine instinct. Ever hear of whale eye in the dog? I bet a lot of dogs do it while being hugged and the people don't even realize it.

I have never met a dog that enjoys hugging.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Exactly.

I never did until I met my shih tzu. He is the first dog in almost 44 years that I have known that loves, loves, loves it. If you pick him up and hug him he smashes his body against you and nuzzles his face in your neck. Honestly, though, he is the only one. I think it's the breed or something.

But again, my shepherd mix does not like much touching at all. She does not cuddle on the couch with me or even lay next to me. She lays at the opposite end from me....lol. She wants her family around, but isn't into all that mushy stuff. But I'll tell you, she is the best dog I've ever had.

In your case I think your BC is just very busy, busy, busy...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.