Weight

BenTagg

Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire
Hi guys, my tortoise is just over 1 year old and weighs 57g. What is the average weight of a tortoise at this age and is my tortoise of a good weight or not? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There really is no average. They all grow at different rates, and for different reasons.

57 grams at one year is a little small. This is typical of babies that are not soaked enough, kept too dry, or kept outside too much.

BenTagg

Nottinghamshire
There really is no average. They all grow at different rates, and for different reasons.

57 grams at one year is a little small. This is typical of babies that are not soaked enough, kept too dry, or kept outside too much.
Would you say that this is a major concern at the minute? I’m bathing him 3 times a week, so I’ll bath him more from now on.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi
Sorry to interfere but I was just about to ask the same question. My tort is a year old and when I got her a month ago she was 58 g.
I have been soaking her daily (30min) and she weight 86g yesterday. That is 28g in a month. Her carapace has grown 1cm in length and 1cm in width. Her thinkness has stayed the same. I think she was very dehydrated. Is this all correct?
I have always been told tortoise eat a lot but she does not. Eats a few mesclun leaves here and there. As a treat I give her a little cooked corn. I have been taking her outside a bit at a time where she feeds a little clover. She drinks fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you say that this is a major concern at the minute? I’m bathing him 3 times a week, so I’ll bath him more from now on.
Not a major concern. If it were my animal, I would:
  • Up the humidity a bit and keep it around 60-70%.
  • Add a humid hide.
  • Use 3-4 inches of orchid bark and keep the lower layers damp.
  • Soak daily until the tortoise reaches and exceeds 100 grams.
  • Add a little more plant protein to the diet like clover or fresh alfalfa.
  • Supplement with original Mazuri to make sure there are no nutrient gaps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
Sorry to interfere but I was just about to ask the same question. My tort is a year old and when I got her a month ago she was 58 g.
I have been soaking her daily (30min) and she weight 86g yesterday. That is 28g in a month. Her carapace has grown 1cm in length and 1cm in width. Her thinkness has stayed the same. I think she was very dehydrated. Is this all correct?
I have always been told tortoise eat a lot but she does not. Eats a few mesclun leaves here and there. As a treat I give her a little cooked corn. I have been taking her outside a bit at a time where she feeds a little clover. She drinks fine.
Most captive baby tortoises are somewhat dehydrated due to the typical wrong advice given. Older larger animals can survive with lower levels of hydration for a long time if need be, but babies suffer when things are too dry. Many of them don't survive.

I compare it to puppies or chicks. Adult dogs and chickens can survive and acclimate just fine to below freezing temps, but their babies need extra warmth to survive. Putting an 8 week old puppy in a dog house in a snowy climate with no heat is equivalent to putting a baby tortoise in a dry enclosure and only soaking once a week. Some percentage of either is not going to survive, and all of them deserve better treatment.