Weight question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Well it's clean out the viv day! Just thought I'd add this photo of Alan only just being able to turn round in his hide [second hide! His main one is the largest half log I can fit in his viv!]. :)

What a cutie ! It just makes we want to pick him up and kiss him!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
FLINTUS said:
Where are you in the UK Alan? I'm Wiltshire. Nice pic by the way:D

Yorkshire! Cheers Flintus! I'm Sam (Samantha!) Alan's my RF lol :)

Watsonpartyof4 said:
What a cutie ! It just makes we want to pick him up and kiss him!

Aww I know! I'm getting worried about his weight.....148g today! I went on the Jacksons calculator and it said he was too heavy :( however it was based on spurr thighed and hermanns so I'm trying to do the donoghue calculation but the calculation doesn't seem to work out the same.....I must be doing something wrong! His scl is 8.5cm and his weight today is 148g so anyone who can work out the calculation what red strike sent on page 1 it would be gratefully appreciated!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Alan RF said:
FLINTUS said:
Where are you in the UK Alan? I'm Wiltshire. Nice pic by the way:D

Yorkshire! Cheers Flintus! I'm Sam (Samantha!) Alan's my RF lol :)
Sorry, didn't know that:rolleyes:. I've got two red foots, Cerezo and Brazil. How's the weather been up there, some roads have flooded round our way?

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
FLINTUS said:
Sorry, didn't know that:rolleyes:. I've got two red foots, Cerezo and Brazil. How's the weather been up there, some roads have flooded round our way?

It's okay! Awww 2!!! Love their names ;) I'm a little restricted if Alan turns out to be a girl!!! Rain rain rain!! And floods yep! Live nr York so it floods most of the time :(

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
It's okay! Awww 2!!! Love their names ;) I'm a little restricted if Alan turns out to be a girl!!! Rain rain rain!! And floods yep! Live nr York so it floods most of the time :(

If only Tyrone could visit we could have babies!

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
If only Tyrone could visit we could have babies!

Ha ha very funny! They'd make beautiful babies if he is a she but you'll have to stay posted for a few years yet! My odds are he's a boy! :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I wrote this article to try to help with this- http://www.anapsid.org/reptilehearing.html

The target weight for 8.5cm is 117grams (8.5^3 x 0.191), which, if his current weight is 148gr, is a tBMI of 1.27, or on the obese side.

The reality is that WILD tortoises almost never get obese, but that captive tortoises are obese all the time because the diets we offer are so much richer, especially if they include fruits and meats which are so much higher in sugars and fats.

They rarely get fat on the greens and weeds portion of the diet, so I generally recommend freely feeding things like lettuce and greens, and limiting the 'richer' foods strictly, especially if they only have limited space.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Madkins007 said:
I wrote this article to try to help with this- http://www.anapsid.org/reptilehearing.html

The target weight for 8.5cm is 117grams (8.5^3 x 0.191), which, if his current weight is 148gr, is a tBMI of 1.27, or on the obese side.

The reality is that WILD tortoises almost never get obese, but that captive tortoises are obese all the time because the diets we offer are so much richer, especially if they include fruits and meats which are so much higher in sugars and fats.

They rarely get fat on the greens and weeds portion of the diet, so I generally recommend freely feeding things like lettuce and greens, and limiting the 'richer' foods strictly, especially if they only have limited space.

Thank you so much for working this out Madkins! He eats a diet of spring greens,romaine,lambs and rocket lettuce,watercress,squash,mushroom mainly on the veg side. I only give him fruit 3 times a week and that might be melon, kiwi,pineapple or mango. I've started with some zoomed to vary his diet during the winter. In the summer he'll eat clover and a little grass. What do you suggest to get his weight down? I remember reading about red foots fasting and someone said on the TF to miss a day?? Thanks again Madkins! You've put my mind at rest knowing he is obese and I need to do something about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.