Weight increase

jim taylor

Location (City and/or State)
Morrisville pa
I just recently started weighing speedy. I got the scale couple weeks ago first weight was 477g today he is 564g. I'm going to start keeping track weekly and was just curious as to what was some peoples biggest increase in a week was. I know they all grow at there own rate but is there a certain average to what they should put weekly or monthly. I no they slow as they older speedy is 18 months old. The main reason I ask is cause I see 2yr old that r way bigger than him 5-10lbs. I don't use mazuri I do use the zoo med grassland. I'm going to reptile show to get some mazuri cause it seems like the people that have bigger sulcata use it. Speedy is full over energy and eats twice a day outside all the time and has no health issues. I feed him mostly grass and weeds a lot of variety with the zoomed and greens. But I just want to make sure he is getting what he needs. I'm in it for the long haul and don't want him growing up wit problems.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Although I understand that there is technically an average weight gain, it is really hard to quantify it. Not enough information and way too many variables at play in the way they gain weight.

I believe it is simply much more important that you provide the healthiest environment you can and allow them to gain weight at their own pace. If they are steadily gaining weight I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a little guy who is 8 to 9 months now, and I have had a few weeks where he has added nearly 10% of body weight in a single week. I would say typically mine has seen about 2-5% a week though.

There are people here not seeing results anywhere near this, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are doing anything wrong.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I guess Speedy is in a big growth stage now . I weigh him once a month , and he has gained just over a Pound a month for the last 2 months !

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I guess Speedy is in a big growth stage now . I weigh him once a month , and he has gained just over a Pound a month for the last 2 months

How old is ur speedy? And what is his weight? Do u feed mazuri? Im just wondering if the mazuri is what I'm missing. I don't supplement other than calcium and what he gets from the zoo med and greens. I assume we all feed the same basic diet give or take.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
Not sure if my post showed up I can't see it just the quote

How old is ur speedy? What is his total weight? Do u feed mazuri? I'm not worried about his health he seems fine and is very active. I'm just wondering if it the mazuri that helps them gain the weight. I had him a little over a yr and he is just over a pound.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona

He is just over 2 years old , on 09 / 14 he measured 9 3/4 inches and weighed 6 Lbs .05 oz,s . Yes he gets Mazuri (original) pellets twice a week . He gets 32 pellets covered with well soaked Bermuda grass hay on pellet day !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just recently started weighing speedy. I got the scale couple weeks ago first weight was 477g today he is 564g. I'm going to start keeping track weekly and was just curious as to what was some peoples biggest increase in a week was. I know they all grow at there own rate but is there a certain average to what they should put weekly or monthly. I no they slow as they older speedy is 18 months old. The main reason I ask is cause I see 2yr old that r way bigger than him 5-10lbs. I don't use mazuri I do use the zoo med grassland. I'm going to reptile show to get some mazuri cause it seems like the people that have bigger sulcata use it. Speedy is full over energy and eats twice a day outside all the time and has no health issues. I feed him mostly grass and weeds a lot of variety with the zoomed and greens. But I just want to make sure he is getting what he needs. I'm in it for the long haul and don't want him growing up wit problems.

That weight is fine for an 18 month old. Don't worry too much about other people whose tortoises are growing faster. It doesn't matter and it doesn't necessarily indicate anything is right or wrong.

Mazuri is a good food supplement, but don't feel that it is necessary. Its good to use it, but you don't "need" it. Your tortoise can live a long, healthy life without ever seeing Mazuri or any other prepared food.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
That weight is fine for an 18 month old. Don't worry too much about other people whose tortoises are growing faster. It doesn't matter and it doesn't necessarily indicate anything is right or wrong.

Mazuri is a good food supplement, but don't feel that it is necessary. Its good to use it, but you don't "need" it. Your tortoise can live a long, healthy life without ever seeing Mazuri or any other prepared food.

I'm not worried just more curious. Tom u have some do you see some that grow way faster than others. I no a lot of factors go into this kind of thing. Do some of yours hatch bigger and put on weight quicker. I'm kind of new to all of this and only have what I see and have to compare too. The stuff i read is all over the board it very helpful to hear from you guys that have been doing it for as long as you have. Tom do u use mazuri? If so is there any particular reason why? I'm in no rush to make him huge by any means but this is something I've been wondering about for some time and I'm heading to the show Saturday and was thinking about getting some just to add something different for him.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'm not worried just more curious. Tom u have some do you see some that grow way faster than others. I no a lot of factors go into this kind of thing. Do some of yours hatch bigger and put on weight quicker. I'm kind of new to all of this and only have what I see and have to compare too. The stuff i read is all over the board it very helpful to hear from you guys that have been doing it for as long as you have. Tom do u use mazuri? If so is there any particular reason why? I'm in no rush to make him huge by any means but this is something I've been wondering about for some time and I'm heading to the show Saturday and was thinking about getting some just to add something different for him.

I wasn't suggesting or advocating the use of Mazuri . I am sure you understand I was just answering your question Jim . I use Mazuri because the person I bought Speedy from used it , and after coming here and reading how great it was I saw no reason to stop or change .

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I wasn't suggesting or advocating the use of Mazuri . I am sure you understand I was just answering your question Jim . I use Mazuri because the person I bought Speedy from used it , and after coming here and reading how great it was I saw no reason to stop or change .

I totally got what you where saying I no I kind of just thru the mazuri thing into frey. I'm not asking if anyone would recommend it or not. For some reason I'm just interested in the growth rate some people see versus what others see. I no it's foolish to compare mine to urs but it cool to hear ur story thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I understand what you are getting at.

Mine all grow at different rates. Some grow 2 or 3 times faster than others. Literally. When Trey was 42 pounds, Tuck was still 18 pounds. Clutchmates. Now She's over 50 pounds and Tuck has almost caught up. She slowed down and he sped up.

In my star group I have one giant female that is 3300 grams. The smallest male is around 800 grams. They all started with me as hatchlings between 27 and 41 grams 3 years ago. Same foods, same enclosure, same everything.

This is why I say that if all else is good like temperature, hydration, UV and diet, then don't worry about the size.