One month old Sulcata weight

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
My Sulcata is 52.8 grams at 1 month and 4 days. Is this a healthy weight? When I first got him I weight him on a spring scale and he was 50 grams and that was while he was 11 days old. I now use a digital scale and I believe the spring scale was a little off so he was probably really around 45 grams. So how much should he weigh at this point? I know they grow at different rates but could any body give me a small timeline of generally how much they should way at certain milestones?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Someone that sees a lot of babies, one of our breeders for instance, would be the best to guess at an answer here. The reason to weigh them frequently is to be certain that they are gaining weight and not dehydrating. Ultimately they will grow at their own rate. I think that 50-55 grams is a good weight for your tortoise right now. A month from now he could weigh 55-60 grams. In the mean time just make sure that the environmental conditions are being met and that he isn't getting stressed out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That weight sounds good for a one month old. They hatch around 35-40 grams.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: One month old Sulcata weight

bouaboua said:
show us a picture, Please, Please, Please! ! !

I don't think he's dehydrated or anything. I soak him 20-30 minutes a day. Has a terracotta plant saucer with fresh water the gets replaced every day in his enclosure and humidity stays around 78-95% in his enclosure. I've even started to see him drinking recently. At least I think its drinking. He goes to his water dish and puts his face down in below his nostrils for a second or two at a time.

Attachments

• 1393331576373.jpg
    1393331576373.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1393331608271.jpg
    1393331608271.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1393331636636.jpg
    1393331636636.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1393331658910.jpg
    1393331658910.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 114

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All the Sudans were in the 60 - 80g range at one month...but that might not be a fair comparison. I looked back at Monstro's records and he was barely 50g at one month. Now, four years later...well, see for yourself...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-87669.html

BTW...he looks great...and that he's drinking is even better! I don't think you're doing anything wrong! Is it warm where you're at? If so, try soaking him outside...so he gets direct sunlight. I soak two or three time a day for up to an hour per session. When the summer kicks in...they'll soak in a kiddie pull for MOST of the day.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
DeanS said:
All the Sudans were in the 60 - 80g range at one month...but that might not be a fair comparison. I looked back at Monstro's records and he was barely 50g at one month. Now, four years later...well, see for yourself...

BTW...he looks great...and that he's drinking is even better! I don't think you're doing anything wrong! Is it warm where you're at? If so, try soaking him outside...so he gets direct sunlight. I soak two or three time a day for up to an hour per session. When the summer kicks in...they'll soak in a kiddie pull for MOST of the day.

Monstro looks great. How much does he weigh now at four years? It's been getting warming. On the days it's been in the high 70's or greater I've been soaking him outside in direct sunlight and after the soak I usually let him roam around a little. I can see some growth on his carapace from when I got him to now. I just wish I would've used a digital scale when I first got him so I really know what he weighed then. He eats plenty and drinks though so I think he's doing well. I feed a seed mix from sulcatafood.com that I grow in his enclosure as well as separately that way when whats in his enclosure starts to thin out I can just clip some so he has plenty of food. I also feed cactus pad, kale, or mazuri about once or twice a week.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
BowDownBowser said:
DeanS said:

Monstro looks great. How much does he weigh now at four years?

He's right at 40# right now...but we'll see what happens over the summer! It sounds like you're doing everything right! The way you feed won't promote fast growth...but it will ensure even growth.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
DeanS said:
BowDownBowser said:
DeanS said:

Monstro looks great. How much does he weigh now at four years?

He's right at 40# right now...but we'll see what happens over the summer! It sounds like you're doing everything right! The way you feed won't promote fast growth...but it will ensure even growth.

It's good to hear that I seem to be doing everything right. What other ways are there to feed? It would be great to see him grow quicker, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice even growth for instant results. And with tortoises it seems nothing is instant :D At least nothing good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a feeding guide:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

I wouldn't worry about the growth rate at all. One way or the other. Just provide the right conditions, good hydration, a good varied diet, sunshine when possible, and don't give much thought to how fast he grows. Good health is most important.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
pet store said my sulcata was 2 months old and weighs 56 grams is he underweight he sure does eat a lot for a small fry

Meg1323

New Braunfels, Tx
I just got this sweet baby yesterday and he opened his eyes when we got him out of the box but has had them closed most of yesterday and today except when I soak him he’ll open one a little and he hasn’t eatin and notbto active until I put him on the scale and he weighs 45.3 grams. I have everything setup correct just worried I don’t want nothing to H-E-B wrong with my baby his the smallest I have ever had. I got him from Tortoise Town any helpful tips for me? Thanks

Attachments

• F0E21703-0B93-4EC3-AC17-2C6122811512.jpeg
    F0E21703-0B93-4EC3-AC17-2C6122811512.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 9

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just got this sweet baby yesterday and he opened his eyes when we got him out of the box but has had them closed most of yesterday and today except when I soak him he’ll open one a little and he hasn’t eatin and notbto active until I put him on the scale and he weighs 45.3 grams. I have everything setup correct just worried I don’t want nothing to H-E-B wrong with my baby his the smallest I have ever had. I got him from Tortoise Town any helpful tips for me? Thanks

Hey, it’s probably better for you to start a brand new thread with questions about your new Sully baby.

I’m thinking @Yvonne G will be able to help with this,.