weight gain ???

Debbie2468

Location (City and/or State)
Rhondda south Wales
Hi all what is good or bad Wright gain ??? We are proud parents to Mac who we have had 2 months . He hasput on 2ozs but no size change. He loves food he is given bowl in morning and snack in evening it's varied mix of weeds and fresh salad items thanks :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species? What size and age?

They all grow at different rates, but over time you should see steady gain in a young growing tortoise. I weigh my young ones weekly and keep track. I would expect slower growth over winter and a big increase in spring.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What species? What size and age?

They all grow at different rates, but over time you should see steady gain in a young growing tortoise. I weigh my young ones weekly and keep track. I would expect slower growth over winter and a big increase in spring.

3 year old Russian, Tom.

In the older tortoises weight fluctuates quite a bit. For instance if you weigh him after he eats, before he has pooped or peed, then the next time you weigh him before he eats or after he has pooped and peed, then you'll see a BIG difference in weight.

Debbie2468

Rhondda south Wales
Hi tom he's a horse field and we were told he was about 3 yr old can't be sure cos we reduced him. Little damage to shell which I was told was a bite but checked on here and told light /heat damage. He's 9 cm and hast changed size only weight .

yillt

Hi tom he's a horse field and we were told he was about 3 yr old can't be sure cos we reduced him. Little damage to shell which I was told was a bite but checked on here and told light /heat damage. He's 9 cm and hast changed size only weight .
Maybe you should weigh him again now incase he had had an extra large breakfast that day or he hadn't been the the loo in a while. Weight gain is normal so don't get to worried but if it persists you need to feed a bit less.