Weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two babies, the first one we have had for 5 months not sure his age, but i would guess under a year, at the begining of the month he weighed 215 grams now he is at 290 grams gaining 75 grams in a month, my other guy is smaller and younger we have had him for 8 months and weighed 142 and now is 184 only gaining 42 grams.

Is the larger one gaining too much weight too quick? how is the little guy weight gain?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
bsr8129 said:
I have two babies, the first one we have had for 5 months not sure his age, but i would guess under a year, at the begining of the month he weighed 215 grams now he is at 290 grams gaining 75 grams in a month, my other guy is smaller and younger we have had him for 8 months and weighed 142 and now is 184 only gaining 42 grams.

Is the larger one gaining too much weight too quick? how is the little guy weight gain?

What kind of tortoise is it? Sorry, I'm no expert, just curious. Those are big gains.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am going to assume that since this is Sulcata Central that the tortoises are Sulcata. Have you had them treated for parasites? Have you watched them to make sure the smaller one is getting his share? I might feed them on opposite sides of the habitat just to make sure the smaller one is not getting bullied. Also, there could be mental bullying going on not just physical, so you need to watch them and make sure that the smaller on is eating as much as he should be...anyhow, that's where I'd start...

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
There is food on both sides of their enclosure, usually there is some small amounts of food left over. They both seem to eat when ever they want to. They are both sulcata's, they have not been treated for parasites, ill have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.