Weening Baby Easterns off Live Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
What is a good method of weening my baby Easterns off live crickets? That's about all they will eat--live foods. They also will eat dead crickets but won't touch veggies or other foods. Any suggestions? I'd like for them to eat healthy foods. The turtles are almost 1 year old. Thanks!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
do they eat any other live bugs such as worms mealworms roaches and beatle? normally id say mix her greens with chunks of moving cut up worms but if they will only eat crickets then that doesnt work very well as a suggestion

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Box turtle hatchlings rarely eat anything but live foods. I don't start my babies on fruit or greens until they are almost a year. If you chop up some red leaf lettuce or a strawberry, and put some cut up worms on top of them they might get some of the lettuce or fruit too. I usually make a mix of greens, veggies, sweet potato, carrots, some fruit and venison for the babies to try and start them off on reg. food.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The question would be why? Bugs and worms are what they're programed to eat at this point, and they can be as healthy you make them........

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
I started off by placing worms or reptomin on top of a piece of lettuce, or a pulled a switch-o-roo (worm, then when she got close, put lettuce in her face). She eats everything now.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EricIvins said:
The question would be why? Bugs and worms are what they're programed to eat at this point, and they can be as healthy you make them........

:)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
do you kow that term you are what you eat? this applys to feeders if you buy crickets from petco they are pretty much cardbord with legs, thats why many of us feed our insects a good diet so that when our turts eat them they are eating seconf hand nutriants, the BEST thing you can do is catch bugs from the yard (make sure no one sprayed) but wild caught are far better then store bought, in stead of storing your mealworms in sawdust how about oatmeal? there are many thing you can do :)

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Yes, I've been feeding them crickets from PetsMart. I feed the crickets box turtle food that I bought at the store. What do you all suggest feeding the crickets before giving them to my boxies? Thanks a lot.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I feed red wigglers too...I put them in a bin with greens (dandelion, escarole..etc.) These are for hatchlings and juvies. I have a Three Toed since she was one month old. No matter what I do she will only eat pill bugs, wax worms and red wigglers. She was two years old this past Summer, and I even put her in with the big guys and let her see them eat...nothing. Believe me, I have tried everything including not feeding her for 4 days, and then giving her the mix I make for my other guys. So until she goes in with the adults, even though I still try, that's what she eats every day. She seems very healthy to me. I sprinkle some vit. on her "bugs" and worms. We call her bratty girl.
036-17.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The term is "gut feeding" You simply feed the prey animals food before you feed them to the box turtles. I am not sure but I don't know if crickets will eat greens, you can feed the apples and such and then feed them to the box turtles.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
crickets will eat greens although they will probibly go bad before they can finish them, think of grass hopers they are one in the same pretty much. and i believe the term in "gut loading" LOL

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
OK, thanks, all. Here are some pics of my high colored Easterns. They are a bit younger than 1 year. I found a couple earthworms out in the garden today and let them have a snack.

Boxies1.jpg

Boxies3.jpg

Boxies2.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OMG! That's adorable. I love when they fight over a big worm. What do the parents look like? I always start looking in the Spring for a high red male. I have one very high in color that I got from Cory. He was born in Sept.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
austinl01 said:
Yes, I've been feeding them crickets from PetsMart. I feed the crickets box turtle food that I bought at the store. What do you all suggest feeding the crickets before giving them to my boxies? Thanks a lot.

Crickets will eat just about anything,I get crickets from Petco every week, I feed them mostly mazuri, dry cat food, dry dog food, crumbled by using a pair of pliers, For moisture they get iceburg lettuce, collards,and leaf lettuce, no water other than the greens. the crickets I feed this week are the ones I got last week.and the meal worms I raise are based in layena which is full of good stuff with halved potatoes cut side down on the layena.The pill bugs and snails eat what ever they find in the enclosure,The worms are outside and I have no idea what they eat except the copy paper I have laying in stacks to attract them to the surface so I can have easy access to them. Len

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Here are the parents.

Ken1.jpg

Turtulas said:
austinl01 said:

Crickets will eat just about anything,I get crickets from Petco every week, I feed them mostly mazuri, dry cat food, dry dog food, crumbled by using a pair of pliers, For moisture they get iceburg lettuce, collards,and leaf lettuce, no water other than the greens. the crickets I feed this week are the ones I got last week.and the meal worms I raise are based in layena which is full of good stuff with halved potatoes cut side down on the layena.The pill bugs and snails eat what ever they find in the enclosure,The worms are outside and I have no idea what they eat except the copy paper I have laying in stacks to attract them to the surface so I can have easy access to them. Len

Thanks a lot for the information. Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.