Weeds?

mattramsfan76

i have read all over the place that weeds of certain varieties are great for your tortoise diet. But my question is where the heck do you get this stuff? just walk around and try and find it? buy seeds for it some where? i ordered some grass blend seed and some dandelion seeds but thats all i have so far. where is a good place i can buy seeds to grow my own weeds?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Carolina Pet Supply has some great seeds. You can also use wild bird seed and toss it in the pens - it grows a nice variety.

mattramsfan76

kimber_lee_314 said:
Carolina Pet Supply has some great seeds. You can also use wild bird seed and toss it in the pens - it grows a nice variety.
oh good idea. thank you very much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I scavenge them from all over the place. Friends and family and places that you are 100% sure no pesticides have been sprayed. I then rinse them well and soak them in a five gallon bucket for a while and then rinse them again, just to be sure. Been doing it this way for decades with no issues.

As I drive around every day, I see potential tortoise food EVERYWHERE!

mattramsfan76

Tom said:
I scavenge them from all over the place. Friends and family and places that you are 100% sure no pesticides have been sprayed. I then rinse them well and soak them in a five gallon bucket for a while and then rinse them again, just to be sure. Been doing it this way for decades with no issues.

As I drive around every day, I see potential tortoise food EVERYWHERE!

i know i have seen wild mustard right off the free way. maybe i will stop one day and grab some plants and rinse them like you did. thanks for the advice