Weeds in outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Left Coast :)
I'm planning to re design my outdoor enclosure for my torts but our whole backyard has a mix of grass, dandelion greens, etc. I was thinking of having a section of dirt where I can freely plant the type of greens i want but even if i cover the weeds with dirt they will slowly creep out of it and infest my enclosure. Would you guys recommend weed killers? but then i'm worried about my torts around those things, as much as possible i want to keep my whole backyard chemical free just in case.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Don't put weed killer in your enclosure. If the weeds are going where you don't want them in your enclosure, pull them out. Better yet, just let your torts have a field day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depending upon what kind of weeds they are, that's tortoise food, you know?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Your yard sounds like mine! Not much for humans wanting a golf course lawn, but wonderful for hungry tortoises. Towards the end of spring, I start worrying about not enough weeds from the tortoise eating them all. This year I'll be planting dandelion, plantain,(the weed), clover, and other weeds in my tortoise outdoor enclosure to ensure they get adequate amounts of a varied diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just turn the dirt over and mix it all up in the areas you want to plant with something specific, and leave the rest as is.

What you have there is what most people wish they could achieve.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
Tom said:
Just turn the dirt over and mix it all up in the areas you want to plant with something specific, and leave the rest as is.

What you have there is what most people wish they could achieve.

Yeah I figured it might be too much food for them lol I guess I'll leave the way it is and just do parts that I want

Status
Not open for further replies.