Weed ID check (Baby Russian tort)

Sarducci

Want to check the identity and tort safety of the four most common weeds in my yard.

no idea:
weed1.jpg

pretty sure this is a dandelion variety:
weed2.jpg

Also no idea:
weed3.jpg
Some kinda clover?
weed4.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
1. probably Chelidonium - toxic!
2. dandelion
3. no idea. Maybe viola, but that's just a guess without seeing the flowers...
4. clover

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
#4 is burr clover. It's edible, but I've found that my tortoises don't eat it unless they have to.

Sarducci

Great info guys, thanks. I will dig up the Chelidonium and seed the area where it was growing with purslane and plantain seeds instead :) I'll keep an eye on the maybe viola and take another pic if it puts out a flower. There are definitely things I think are wild violets that come up on the lawn later in the spring, too.

Sarducci

One more. Weed 1A is the plant identified as the toxic Chelidonium above. Weed 1B is a thing I was pulling up while weeding as at a glance I thought it was the same, but it clearly isn't--darker green and rounder leaves.
1A:
Weed 1a.jpg

1B
Weed 1B.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
1b is garlic mustard. Very invasive. Very very invasive in the US. It's edible by humans, can be used as pesto or food flavoring. Deer won't touch it, it has no benefits to wildlife. Pull it & bag or burn it, but don't worry about its toxicity.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I would say 1A is Chelidonium, but if you want to make sure, look if it contains a yellow/orange liquid (I don't know the English word for this...).

1b is garlic mustard. Very invasive. Very very invasive in the US. It's edible by humans, can be used as pesto or food flavoring. Deer won't touch it, it has no benefits to wildlife. Pull it & bag or burn it, but don't worry about its toxicity.
I didn't know this was a problem in the USA. :confused: Well, at least torts love it. :p

Sarducci

Definitely yellow orange inside the steps (probably "sap" is the right word for it). I'll dig up as much as I can find.

So torts will eat the garlic mustard? or harmless but probably rejected?

Meriwether is really enjoying the fresh dandelion I've brought in today.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I had some garlic mustard in my enclosure last year, but not for long, the torts really liked it. ;)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Garlic mustard has no natural predators in the US. It is harmful to one species of butterfly caterpillar. (Or some insect like that) It drives out native plants that provide food to native wildlife. It's the first green thing in the woods in very early spring and the last to die in the fall, with the shortest resting period.