We made it! Mac is one happy camper!

jfales

5 Year Member
After nine and 1/2 hours on the road, Mac is at home now in Arizona! No poop or pee in route. No rowdy or discontented movements! No flatulence. The trip could not have gone smoother. We used a large equine tub 40"x27" with 13" sides and put a nice layer of hay in the bottom. I covered the top with cardboard for darkness. The temperature stayed around 82 deg F. In fact, he started eating the hay when we loaded him. His weight - 104 pounds.

Upon arrival, we lifted him from his tub and he explored his new enclosure, ate an apple (sorry folks), ate some native grass and started on his hay. He christened his new enclosure and checked out the perimeter. He pushed by the paparazzi gathered (friends and family) to check out his new house. I've not seen him this active in New Mexico. To be fair, it was 82 deg F when we arrived here north of Tucson.

He is tucked in for the night. We will see what he does in the morning!

Thank you to all of the input I got from many members of the forum on the move. Mac already seems happier.

Janine

parrotlady

5 Year Member
So happy to hear the trip went smooth, once you are settled let me know if you need anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's great news. Sometimes they just fool ya, huh?

jfales

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
No photos to share from the paparazzi?
Glad to hear the trip went well!

Pictures will be uploaded shortly!

jfales

5 Year Member
Pictures! Mac in Arizona. We are amazed at how active he is - eating like a champ. Loving his house - even though it isn't quite finished! He kept going in the house while we worked on it; he even christened it with poop as if to say "this is mine!". Mac has drank water from his tub and has dipped two toes in it. He had his first prickly pear pad - although not from our hands. It was carefully despined first. Anyway, here are the pictures!

Attachments

• macmove2.JPG
    macmove2.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 115
  • macmove3.JPG
    macmove3.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 117
  • macmove28.JPG
    macmove28.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 116
  • macmove42.JPG
    macmove42.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 122
  • macmove38.JPG
    macmove38.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 117

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I'm happy for you and Mac. Mission accomplished!

jfales

5 Year Member
Tom said:
He just knows he has it made now.

Hi, Tom,
We are retrofitting his brick house with plywood paneling, 1-1/2 inch foam insulation, his pig blanket, a radiant heat panel, and a cabinet style door. We are still working today. The past two nights, he has done well with just the pig blanket.

When do you engage the heat sources? We do not have thermostatically controlled heat yet (just a thermostat independent of the heat supply)? I suggested to my brother-in-law that it should be on if the temperatures are below 70 deg F. Also, do you put your kids in at night? We are planning on him in from dusk to daylight. Would you do this year round?
Thanks!
Janine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jfales said:
Hi, Tom,
We are retrofitting his brick house with plywood paneling, 1-1/2 inch foam insulation, his pig blanket, a radiant heat panel, and a cabinet style door. We are still working today. The past two nights, he has done well with just the pig blanket.

When do you engage the heat sources? We do not have thermostatically controlled heat yet (just a thermostat independent of the heat supply)? I suggested to my brother-in-law that it should be on if the temperatures are below 70 deg F. Also, do you put your kids in at night? We are planning on him in from dusk to daylight. Would you do this year round?
Thanks!
Janine

House plans sound great!

I set my thermostats at 80-85 in winter and 70-75 in summer. When we have 100+ days for weeks on end, I just unplug the heat source. I suspect you will too in summer.

I do put them in at night. All of them. I close up their boxes and keep them warm and secure.

However, I let my adults live in burrows all summer. I open the burrow up in May usually and close it up in October. During that time they live underground and come and go as they please.

My juveniles have their own man made heated burrow all year, but I still make sure they go down every night. This one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

jfales

5 Year Member
MoreMac1.JPG MoreMac12.JPG MoreMac27.JPG
Lilyloveslettuse said:
Mac DOES look happy!!!!!! :)

Here are better pictures (I had to downsize them)!

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm happy for both of you. Mac looks very nice.

jfales

5 Year Member
Tom said:
House plans sound great!

I set my thermostats at 80-85 in winter and 70-75 in summer. When we have 100+ days for weeks on end, I just unplug the heat source. I suspect you will too in summer.

I do put them in at night. All of them. I close up their boxes and keep them warm and secure.

However, I let my adults live in burrows all summer. I open the burrow up in May usually and close it up in October. During that time they live underground and come and go as they please.

My juveniles have their own man made heated burrow all year, but I still make sure they go down every night. This one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

Thank you for your insight. We have the house finished (for now). Fully insulated with RHP and pig blanket - Mac loves it! It needs to be painted on the outside. Next - thermostatically controlled heat.:tort:

Attachments

• MoreMac29.JPG
    MoreMac29.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 20
  • MoreMac22.JPG
    MoreMac22.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 24