Should we worry? Anything we should change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smatchell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NW
Fair warning: This is going to be kinda long but we are very new to tortoise-keeping so I want to give as much information as possible so those more knowledgeable can tell me if there is something to change?

We are fostering Sam for a friend, he is about 25 pounds and 5-7 years old we think? We got him in the summer and he seemed to be adjusting to his new environment just fine. We live in the Pacific NW US. When it started to get colder we built him a little house with an oil radiator maintaining the temp at 70-75 (at the coldest, usually more like 80-85) and a 180 watt MV UVB lamp hanging about 3 ft up over a basking spot that we turn on for about 8 hours a day.

Substrate is timothy hay.

For the last couple weeks he pretty much has not left his hut though he will move toward the front where his basking spot is. We do open up the door for him every day just in case he wants to venture out but close him in at night.

When he was spending more time in his hut than out, we got Mazuri pellets and gave him those (soaked in water) with whatever dandelion greens we could find in the yard. We also got some prickly pear pads so he got some of those for a while too with the pellets. He seemed to really like the Mazuri and ate it well after we started soaking it.

I'm a bit worried though because he doesn't really seem to be eating the pellets now and it's been cold enough that I doubt that he is going outside during the day to graze. It's probably been close to 2 weeks since I can say for sure that he has eaten.

We thought maybe a bath would help so we brought his tub and him inside yesterday for several hours. He sat in the bath until it got cold so we took him out and he wandering around the kitchen for a bit but wouldn't eat. I must confess that it had been probably 2-3 weeks since he had had a soak due to our crazy busy schedules.

We also found out that a mouse has been sharing his nice warm house with him so it is possible that he could have eaten some mouse poop? I wouldn't think that would be an issue but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Should we worry? Take him to the vet?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If he isnt eating, he is probably too cold. They can go for a while and not eat at that size, but that doesnt mean its good. Soaking is important if not eating.
Mine are hiding out a lot right now too. They peek and go back inside.
The next few days when Im off work I will be filling thier waters with warm water and bringing them out to ckeck. Not so easy when they weigh 50 lbs.. but will have to manage! HA!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am also in the PNW, where are you? I am in Corvallis Oregon, I have an 80 pound Sulcata, Bob, as well as other species. I would suggest to turn his basking light on for 12 hours a day, not 8. Make sure his floor is not cold, what are you trying to feed him? I read you started mazuri, but are you offering him any greens? Dandelions? You could get a non-spillable dog water dish so he could drink whenever he wanted then you wouldn't have to think about soaking him. You say it's been 2 weeks since he's eaten, what are you expecting him to eat? I think he is too cold. The ambient temperature in his shed should be around 90-95 degrees. What kind of a house is he in? Does it have room for him to walk around?
Anyhow, I think he is too cold and his light in not on for long enough, I think you need to offer him Mazuri and some greens, produce, some heads of different lettuces, collards, endive, kale. Try some softened acorn squash, my Bob can't resist it. Soften it in the microwave... If that doesn't work let us know and we will come up with something else. Please keep us posted I am very glad to try and help you...

smatchell

5 Year Member
Pacific NW
We are in Vancouver, WA

Most of the time his light IS actually on longer just due to our work schedules but we are about to buy a timer so I will make sure that it is set consistently for 12 hours.

We will also turn up his heater so it is warmer in there overall. I think we will also add some additional insulation in the floor next weekend.

His shed is about 4 x 6, room for him to walk around if he wants.

We have a water dish in there for him but he doesn't really seem to be drinking it gauging by the water level, it is heavy ceramic and we haven't had any issues with spilling thus far.

We have offered him dandelion greens and prickly pear pads thus far, when we have gotten greens from the store he barely touched them but we can certainly try again. After his soak yesterday we offered him a plate of softened Mazuri with fresh dandelion greens and a couple of grape tomatoes (his favorite "candy" so far) and he just ignored it.

Do you think spaghetti squash would be OK? I have some of that on hand. If not, I will have to pick up some acorn squash tomorrow.

I will try to also take some pictures to post so you can see his setup for yourself.

Thanks so much so far for the suggestions!

maggie3fan said:
I am also in the PNW, where are you? I am in Corvallis Oregon, I have an 80 pound Sulcata, Bob, as well as other species. I would suggest to turn his basking light on for 12 hours a day, not 8. Make sure his floor is not cold, what are you trying to feed him? I read you started mazuri, but are you offering him any greens? Dandelions? You could get a non-spillable dog water dish so he could drink whenever he wanted then you wouldn't have to think about soaking him. You say it's been 2 weeks since he's eaten, what are you expecting him to eat? I think he is too cold. The ambient temperature in his shed should be around 90-95 degrees. What kind of a house is he in? Does it have room for him to walk around?
Anyhow, I think he is too cold and his light in not on for long enough, I think you need to offer him Mazuri and some greens, produce, some heads of different lettuces, collards, endive, kale. Try some softened acorn squash, my Bob can't resist it. Soften it in the microwave... If that doesn't work let us know and we will come up with something else. Please keep us posted I am very glad to try and help you...

M

Maggie Cummings

Any kind of softened squash is good. Bob can't resist it and maybe Sam can't either...Yes, pictures would be good...
Bob's lights are on a timer, it makes it so much easier...

smatchell said:
We are in Vancouver, WA

Most of the time his light IS actually on longer just due to our work schedules but we are about to buy a timer so I will make sure that it is set consistently for 12 hours.

We will also turn up his heater so it is warmer in there overall. I think we will also add some additional insulation in the floor next weekend.

His shed is about 4 x 6, room for him to walk around if he wants.

We have a water dish in there for him but he doesn't really seem to be drinking it gauging by the water level, it is heavy ceramic and we haven't had any issues with spilling thus far.

We have offered him dandelion greens and prickly pear pads thus far, when we have gotten greens from the store he barely touched them but we can certainly try again. After his soak yesterday we offered him a plate of softened Mazuri with fresh dandelion greens and a couple of grape tomatoes (his favorite "candy" so far) and he just ignored it.

Do you think spaghetti squash would be OK? I have some of that on hand. If not, I will have to pick up some acorn squash tomorrow.

I will try to also take some pictures to post so you can see his setup for yourself.

Thanks so much so far for the suggestions!

maggie3fan said:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
smatchell said:
When it started to get colder we built him a little house with an oil radiator maintaining the temp at 70-75 (at the coldest, usually more like 80-85) and a 180 watt MV UVB lamp hanging about 3 ft up over a basking spot that we turn on for about 8 hours a day.

Substrate is timothy hay.

For the last couple weeks he pretty much has not left his hut though he will move toward the front where his basking spot is. We do open up the door for him every day just in case he wants to venture out but close him in at night.

I think your problem is a lack of UV, the MVB light is too far from the tortoise, and its not going outside.

I suggest dropping the MVB down about a foot. I use a 100watt inside a house and its 12-13 inches off the floor and thats the right temp for the animal. Yours is outside, but given that the bulb is almost twice the wattage, it should still be no more than 20 inches from the floor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Enticing him with novels foods will not solve your problem. He's not eating for a reason. Likely he's too cold. How are you measuring temps. Do you have an infrared temp gun? You need one for your situation. Point that thing at the floor, the walls, your tort, etc... I think you will be surprised. The thermostats on those oils heaters are not accurate or reliable. Get one made for reptiles. When you solve whatever the problem is, his appetite should come right back.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom said:
Enticing him with novels foods will not solve your problem. He's not eating for a reason. Likely he's too cold. How are you measuring temps. Do you have an infrared temp gun? You need one for your situation. Point that thing at the floor, the walls, your tort, etc... I think you will be surprised. The thermostats on those oils heaters are not accurate or reliable. Get one made for reptiles. When you solve whatever the problem is, his appetite should come right back.

yer a day late and a dollar short... I already said he was too cold and we talked about how to make him warmer...he still needs to be enticed by "novel foods" but squash is novel? :) I should have thought about that gun when I talked about the floor being too cold. That's a good idea. I just got one myself and am learning how to use it

smatchell

5 Year Member
Pacific NW
We have a thermometer inside the house, we are not relying on the radiator thermometer. We will bump it up for sure and see if that helps, thanks!

Tom said:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
smatchell said:
We have a thermometer inside the house, we are not relying on the radiator thermometer. We will bump it up for sure and see if that helps, thanks!

Temperature is very important. But again... YOU NEED TO GET THE MVB BULB CLOSER TO THE TORTOISE!!! Those bulbs give off alot of heat, if you lower the bulb the animal will benefit two fold. Heat and UVA/UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.